Where do all us Fly Fishermen hang out these days?
    Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Where do all us Fly Fishermen hang out these days?

Is there a different forum or a facebook page or something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Hi Paxfish!

I hope you are well, its been a long time since we have seen one another!

I finally joined facebook about a year ago to network with fishermen and with whitewater paddlers because both groups do a lot of networking on FB.

I follow a few fishing groups but for fishing its more of a FB "social network" than a single FB page.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yea Pax Steve is right. A lot have gone to networking on Facebook. But it's not just the fly board, it's all the boards and on all the different web pages. I've also been on a boat building sites as well as a wood working site and another fly rod site and all are facing the same problem. I think it's happening not because Facebook is so much better, because it's not. I think it has more to do with egos. You only have to remember back a few years when their was a lot of in fighting. This guy didn't like that guy and so on and so forther. I won't join Facebook. It's really no different, you only have to not friend some one and that shows you don't want that person commenting on your page. It a shame really we had a good thing here. All people really had to do is not post on a thread that you didn't like instead of starting an argument. Oh well theirs really nothing anyone can do, I guess it's human nature. I keep coming back hoping things will change, but I don't think it will as long as so many take things to personal. But it's good to here from you and Steve.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on the forums as well. I enjoy interacting with most of the other guys, but it seems that there are always a bunch of keyboard commandos who can roll cast an intermediate line 90 feet in the surf, catch tuna on 6wts, etc., etc. (I guess all these "experts" must have their own secret fishing spots, because I never see any of them at the beach, demonstrating their extraordinary skills LOL.) I've been a member of the Fly Tying Forum for 15 years, and the saltwater section was fun for a while, as long as there were guys who didn't take themselves seriously and liked to laugh, but even that petered out after a while. I also think a lot of it has to do with the fact that anglers are apt to be fishing anywhere in the world, and it's hard to relate to guys catching queenfish from the beach in Western Australia when you're chasing stripers in the Rhode Island rocks. Back in the day, most of us hung out at fly shops and tackle shops, or at the beach, where the info we exchanged was local, and the blowhards had to put up or shut up. Not so on the internet. Sharing your experience or tips will often get not so much as a thank you. If you're into tying, "Saltwater Fly Tying" on Facebook is pretty good; there are some excellent tyers, and ball-busting isn't tolerated. A baitfish is a baitfish, no matter where you live, and what works in California will probably work in Maine. Just my two cents worth.