Need some Help Alert - Missing Boater
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Alert - Missing Boater

NNAC club member Leroy Bussells, left his dock at 7:00 am on Sunday December 23rd. He was fishing alone on his boat a 27' Grady White "Old Soldier" out of the Great Wicomico. He has not yet returned. The Coast Guard spent today searching by air and water without success. He may have headed southward for the mouth of the Rappahannock, 1R & 2R, or the Cut Channel area. The specific area he decided to troll could have changed throughout the day.

Anyone boating in that area is asked to be on the lookout and call the Coast Guard with any information.
    Last edited by BayViews; 12-24-2018 at 08:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

the year of the boat would be helpful im going out this weds I have a structure scanner on the boat and will scan the mouth of Rappahannock and be on the look out a lot of charters where in that area on the 12 24 18 at 62 some of them may have seen him

update

USCG found his boat aground late yesterday up north on Bloodsworth Island in MD with fishing gear still deployed, but no sign of Leroy. The supposition is that he fell overboard. He always uses his auto pilot while trolling so the boat just kept on going wherever it was headed at the time. He would not have fished in MD since the season is closed and previously indicated he was likely heading southward towards the cut channel or mouth of the Rappahannock.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Sad.
    Not what any of us wanted to hear.

Awful news. Thoughts to his family and praying for something miraculous.

I find it a bit odd with as many boats that where out no one saw his boat moving without someone or seen something its sad news , my thoughts and prayers for all concerned

Damn. Thanks for this post. Crazy this has not made the news yet from what I've seen. Let's all keep our eyes open in the next few trips out.

Your right, I have not seen news articles yet. I was informed the USCG suspended their search efforts not long after the boat was found. Hopefully a body recovery will eventually bring closure to his family. He normally wore a PFD. It seems likely the boat remained on auto pilot for many hours after the accident. Leroy finished 1st in the NNAC rockfish tournament held on Thanksgiving weekend. Having fished with Leroy just a few weeks ago, I know that you could not ask for a better person.

Did they ever find this gent??

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    Did they ever find this gent??
    Unfortunately, no word of a recovery yet.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast