Good Information Emergency proposal to eliminate the Spring Trophy-size Striped Bass Season
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Post Emergency proposal to eliminate the Spring Trophy-size Striped Bass Season

I received this email today:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From the VMRC

On April 23, 2019, the Marine Resources Commission will consider an emergency staff proposal to eliminate the Bay, Coastal and Potomac River Tributaries Spring Trophy-size Striped Bass Recreational Fisheries described in Chapter 4 VAC 20-252-10 et seq.

The justifications for this proposal include the status of the coastal striped bass stock that is overfished. This means the spawning stock is low and not biologically stable. Overfishing has been occurring for several years meaning the rate of striped bass removals from the stock has caused an overfished condition. The number of striped bass harvested recreationally by Virginia fisheries has declined markedly since 2010 when 368 thousand striped bass were harvested from all tidal Virginia waters. In 2018, preliminary recreational striped bass harvest is less than 52 thousand fish. The reporting rate for the trophy-size recreational striped bass fisheries has been low and ranged from 37 percent to 50 percent, from 2015 through 2018. All these factors have contributed to the staff proposal for these emergency actions, and section § 28.2-210 of the Code of Virginia authorizes these amendments for the protection of the striped bass resource.

The emergency amendments proposed by staff include: 1) elimination of the open season for the Bay spring trophy-size striped bass recreational fishery of May 1 through June 15, inclusive, whereby a 36-inch minimum size limit has been in effect; 2) elimination of the open season for the Coastal spring trophy-size striped bass recreational fishery of May 1 through May 15, inclusive, whereby a 36-inch minimum size limit has been in effect; and, 3) elimination of the open season for the Potomac River tributaries spring striped bass recreational fishery of April 20 through May 15, inclusive, whereby a 35 inch minimum size limit is in effect.

Staff proposes an effective date of April 29, 2019 for the emergency regulation. If the Commission adopts the emergency regulation, a public hearing on this issue would be requested for May 28, 2019.

Please check back after April 23rd to see if the Commission has approved the staff proposal to eliminate the Spring Trophy-size Striped Bass fisheries.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

This only makes sense to me, but I think it should not only be recreational fishing, but all fishing.

I'm curious of whether they will replace it with summer regs, of 19", or will they just kill the season completely?

-TH

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've been putting the big girls back anyhow. Let em' swim.

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish

Need to close the fishery for 5 years. Moratorium just like in the 80's and early 90's.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I agree with closing the Spring striper season until numbers improve. Fall season is enough.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Agreed BUT there should also be a moratorium on the bait supply a/k/a menhaden being stripped out of the waters. Do you think there is any correlation between the food supply and the number of stripers???

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

What about the comms? Are they getting a free ride?

What is a striper? Just kidding, I have not caught one for a few years, sure some people catch them all the times but most people I know do not.

Spring season should be suspended until stock improves.

All striper tournaments should be suspended and or outlawed for 5 years. In addition I believe other tournaments should be looked at, i.e. cobia and flounder to see if those are impacting those fisheries.

If we really want to put a hurting on a fishery, lets have a oyster toad tournament, most caught, biggest and they can be donated to anyone who wants them to eat.

Most menhaden fishing in the bay should be outlawed with the exception to allow commercial fishermen to catch less than 500-1000 pounds a day for crabbers and or fishermen to use for bait for 2 years until the striper stock improves.

Agreed but tell that to Omaga

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Not much of a spring striper season in VA anyway that I can tell. At least not in the lower bay. By the time spring season opens in VA the fish are in MD. Seems MD has much better rockfish seasons, the fish are there when th season is open. In VA we have to time it just right as the fish pass through. It's basically a few weeks between thanksgiving and the end of the year.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BYRD View Post
    Need to close the fishery for 5 years. Moratorium just like in the 80's and early 90's.
    Agreed, but the Virginia reduction fishery for menhaden needs to be eliminated as well. It isn't allowed anywhere else, but Omega's still lining the pockets of legislators here, and the legislature has zero intention of giving up its control of the fishery as long as the campaign contributions keep coming their way. There are so many factors involved in the striper decline that the fish don't stand a chance until they're all addressed. Mortality needs to be greatly reduced in both the recreational and commercial sectors. There are a lot of steps that can be taken, but IMO, the biggest obstacle is convincing all the interests involved that we have one hell of a problem on our hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast