Fishing Report April 20th Something Different

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default April 20th Something Different

After looking at the forecast and PSCR reports, I decided to try something new this year. I left out of Solomon's Island and headed upriver to chase some catfish. I don't know much about them but had caught a couple fishing near jug Bay early this spring and have heard of them being pretty plentiful so rather than getting beat up on the Bay I figured why not give them a shot. I looked a couple of places but ended up anchoring in 15' of water, SE of Patuxent River # "11" which is just upriver of Pt Patience. Tried bloodworms, "greenworms", and fresh bunker on both bottom rigs and fish finder rigs. The only bait we caught on was the fresh bunker which my good friend picked up from Marty's in Edgewater. The bottom rigs outperformed the fish finder rigs and 1/0 size hooks worked well.

Six of us ended up with 27 of blue cats (I think) between 18" - 30" (very approximate, didn't care to measure them) and had a blast. Admittedly, we didn't (still don't) know any thing about catfish but I felt like a darn genius after spending a little time studying up on them, coming up with a plan and actually catching something. Myself and most guys onboard have years of rockfshing experience and generally think we know how to target them, I paid my way through college working on the head and charter boats out of Chesapeake Beach, Deale and Ocean City in 1998-2005 (7 year plan ;)). Most everyone on board has similar backgrounds, we were laughing ourselves silly, heading up river, against the trickle of traffic headed out towards the Bay. Anyone who knows a thing about catfish would probably laugh just as hard at how little we knew what we were doing but we still ended up doing far more catching than my thousands of dollars in trolling gear would have produced. What I do know is that they had clams in their buldging bellies and we kept every one of those invasive fish
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You will need to teach the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Finprof View Post
    You will need to teach the rest of us.
    I'll share every little bit I know. As much fun as I had, they don't belong here and they are doing harm. I felt like flagging down every boat I saw and asking them to join us including handing out bait.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

That's about the size of the ones I've been catching up the Bay . If you like spinning instead of dead sticking ,try a piece of fish on a buctail/jig and reel slowly and jig a bit along the bottom .You might also catch a Striper by accident.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

budddavid,

What time of day did you fish? Awesome report, and thanks for the location...may have to give it a shot.

Between about 7:30 and 11:00. We were at the boat at 5:45 but took our time leaving the dock. I looked a couple other places, even anchored at the second location but wasn't happy with what I saw on the sounder once my anchor was set. It was too windy to bother drifting. All times are approximate but I can say with certainty that I cracked the first beer at 7:58.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Bottom Knocker's Avatar

So CLAMS for bait! One of my favorite things to eat!!!
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat"-Police Chief Brody..