Good Information Virginia cancels spring trophy striped bass season 2019..Urges other states to follow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Default Virginia cancels spring trophy striped bass season 2019..Urges other states to follow

I just got an e mail from Chesapeake bay magazine bulletin . I'm not sure if this is the proposal that someone posted that read that this was only for recreational fishermen and not commercial?
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

https://www.chesapeakebaymgazine.cm/...ates-to-follow Can't seem to get it to come up. Anyways, It's cancelled in Virginia 2019. The article said this is the 6th year in a row that rockfish stocks have been low. If Virginia charter boats come into Maryland they better advertise Catfish Charters with an outside chance of catching a Rockfish.

Blog Entries

Virginia's spring season would have been open from May1- June 15 in the Chesapeake Bay. Coastal from May 1 -May 15 and tributaries from April 29 -May 15 . The short late spring season will still be open from May 16-June 15 with a 2 fish limit pp from 20-28 in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You know your state is fucking up when Virginia beats you at conservation

Blog Entries

Wait until you read the whole report. Virginia claims to always be first in conservation . What a crock .

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Don’t forget they were first to ban the winter dredging of female crabs and Maryland followed.

They were also the ones who learned to regulate Blue Catfish into a National top tier fishery while Maryland calls for their demise as many people turn to them as an alternative to the devastated rockfish population.

I believe they also had limits on Cobia before Maryland as well.

Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by done workin View Post
    Don’t forget they were first to ban the winter dredging of female crabs and Maryland followed.

They were also the ones who learned to regulate Blue Catfish into a National top tier fishery while Maryland calls for their demise as many people turn to them as an alternative to the devastated rockfish population.

I believe they also had limits on Cobia before Maryland as well.

Hmmmmm
    Much misinformation here.

Md has never , at least to my knowledge (or while I've been alive) ever allowed winter dredging of crabs. There is an annual survey done each winter- but it's not harvest. Va does the same survey. Va stopped dredging crabs in 2011 I think.

Va's rivers may be "managed" for trophy blue catfish but the James and rapp are no longer destinations like they were. Why? Because blue catfish are so abundant their growth is stunted. The number of large ones is way down from years ago when they weren't so abundant. They now make up the majority of the biomass in those rivers. When a new species comes in an takes over the majority of your biomass, it's likely not good for other species. When you see t there, it's really dumbfounding why you wouldn't favor trying to control their numbers.

Blog Entries

Virginia has the main area in the Bay for female crabs that hibernate in the mud. They still harvest sponge crabs after Maryland stopped a 100 years ago. Noe we have the only governor in Maryland's history that will allow sponge crabs from Virginia to be transported into our state to be picked for crabmeat.Who put the Blue Catfish in the tidal rivers? We don't have any cobia compared to Virginia. They catch more in 1 day than we catch all year. The main spawning grounds on the east coast is the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay from June until September. They close the season before and after the spawning season for Cobia. Hmmm I'm done thinkin of anything else but I'm sure there's more.

I stand corrected, sort of.

You’re right, I was mis-remembering it. Maryland didn’t ban winter dredging however they did implement an all out two year ban on the harvest of females after Va banned the winter dredging. At which point Maryland watermen had about a 2 week season. Now where are we?

I don’t care how many cobia we do or don’t have, Maryland was not proactive in protecting them. That is the point. If I remember right, it was mandated.

James and Rapp are still highly sought Blue Cat destinations even if it’s not as good as it once was.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

North Carolina also passed a moratorium on stripped bass in March https://m.thewashingtondailynews.com...effect-monday/. The ASFMC is supposed to meet on the 30th, will all the other states including Maryland follow Virginia and NC to actually preserve a precious natural resource? Or will arrogance get in the way....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast