Tow Insurance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow Insurance

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Tow Insurance

Just got another boat, 21 ft Parker. I'm renewing my boat insurance which has $2,500 on water tow reimbursement. Is that enough? In 35 years of fishing the bay never had to call for a tow. I usually stay within a 1 hr run of my slip on the South river. Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Multiply 35 years times what you pay for insurance per year. $3500.00 to $10,000.00.is it worth it if you stay close to home port???? There are a lot of people around that area for help.........Gary.99

Gary
    The tow coverage is part of my overall boat insurance plan which I defiantly want for liability etc. Just wondering how much to get towed 15 to 20 miles. Thanks for reply.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Sea Tow charges about $150.00 per hour. Time starts when they leave their dock until they return to their dock....... Gary

After more research Sea Tow charges between $175.00 to $450.00 per hour. The $150.00 per hour was what they charged me 10 years ago....... Gary
    Last edited by crabby and son; 04-25-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    Sea Tow charges about $1500.00 per hour. Time starts when they leave their dock until they return to their dock....... Gary
    Sounds about right...

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have Boat US. Love them, $120 a year +- includes trailer towing and UNLIMITED on the water towing. I used them two times and the last one would have cost me $3500 for the tow, the one before that was $1800 so that alone is worth it. plus if YOU are on someone's boat YOU can use the insurance on that boat as well, Right GARY :-)

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Used Boat US last year and they were at my anchored boat on the Magothy in 20 mins. My anchor was stuck and I was moving forwards to dislodge it before starting the windless. It was in 17 feet and there was enough rope out that it got caught in the props. Have I/O and unit wouldn't lift to untie the rope. It was getting dark and it was worth every cent of my towing fee to be back at the dock. No one was passing to offer a tow.Next day was hauled and rope came out easily with props loosened. Maybe shouldn't have pulled forward to dislodge prop but who knows. Towboat captain couldn't have been nicer.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You never buy towing insurance for the times when there is help around.

In this day of lawsuits and general laziness people don’t want to get involved. It’s piece of mind if nothing else.

I’ve been towed (both by pros and volunteers) and I’ve done my share of towing. I believe it’s karma, but still carry insurance.

Last year in OC cruising along at 25 and spun my prop hub. Springtime on the bay and you’re only ever 1 submerged log away from Oh Crap.

Even mechanically sound engines/boats have their days.

Chris

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NIGHT NURES View Post
    I have Boat US. Love them, $120 a year +- includes trailer towing and UNLIMITED on the water towing. I used them two times and the last one would have cost me $3500 for the tow, the one before that was $1800 so that alone is worth it. plus if YOU are on someone's boat YOU can use the insurance on that boat as well, Right GARY :-)
    There are two types of boaters out there, those who have been stranded, and those who will. If someone is always in a situation where there will be help close by, then it may not be needed. I've been towed in 3 times in 10 years back out on the bay, and one of the times it was late at night when the tow boat guy was on premium time. The tow captain advised me that if I did not have the insurance, it would have run something like $2500.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast