Fishing Report Brick House bar - 4 / 25

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Brick House bar - 4 / 25

Launched at Sandy Point at 6 am with friends Dean , Mike and Mike's father Greg. Only about a dozen trailers on lot. Ran out on nice calm bay and headed SE towards Mattapeake but stayed on west edge. Slowed to trolling speed in 50 feet and set course SE towards # 87.

We put out six rods off each board - two wire line rigs off boat and two downriggers. Added one WWB off transom. Mix of parachutes from 2 to 8 ozs - mix of single and tandems. Shad colors were white , chartreuse , blue sparkle , blue /white , green glitter. I thought back to when getting 4-5 rods out was a slow start.

Once lines were out zig zagged along channel edge as slack water came at 7 am. Trolled into a tide line but luckily only hooked one stick. There was a lot of junk in the line - quickly got away from it.

7:30 saw some bait and circled it - hooked one 13 inch Menhaden. Swung back around and in channel got hit off planer. Nice fish that gave Greg a good fight. He got it to boat and since it hit the dropper ( short line ) of tandem - he could reel it right in.

Fish was right at boat and I put net under it. Fish got across net and rim knocked lure free - fish rolled off net and was gone. Looked about 42 -43 inches but was full of roe and we would have let it go. It hit a PSCR barbless lure - 6 oz white Spakin Striper with chartreuse shad.

Greg was good sport about fish getting away - I cringed knowing how tough bites have been and worried that would be only chance. Incoming current was moving as we trolled off Brick House bar area - more / less alone. I was surprised by so few boats.

We checked a few rigs - all were clean. Cloud cover made for nice day as gentle north breeze kept us cool. Worked across channel to 40 feet and back. Very little on meter - side scan showed some bait but not a lot.

We ate lunch as current slowed but it changed fast to a strong outgoing. Crossing into 50 feet on west side - wire rod got hit hard. Dean took the rod as fish took some drag. Slowed boat as fish ran - Mike turning boat slightly to keep fish straight behind boat. Fish came near - we could see it hit dropper lure - Spankin' Striper the late Gary calls ole Blue eyes. On my boat it is Blue eye - as one is missing. White 10 oz with white shad.

Dean did good job reeling fish in but just out of net range it took off. I held my breath hoping hook would stay in. All went well and soon fish was in net range and quickly scooped up. Very nice 40 -41 inch male - one reason it fought so well.

Amazing how one fish can change a trip - we rest line and worked the area for about two more hours but no more hits. Reeled lines in about 4:00 and ran back to ramp. Dean , Mike and Greg divided the fish - really nice fillets from it. Quick check confirmed it was big male - not spawned out female. Few friends were out and reported nothing or 32-34 inch throw backs.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Good report as always skip, congrats on the fish. If you aren't catching more than 2 I am not even bothering. I don't know how I would catch negative fish.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice report! How can you tell sex of fish aside from having roe?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks for the report Skip.

Quote Originally Posted by thaweatherman View Post
    Divided the fish,

Thanks for the report!!!

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by thaweatherman View Post
    Females have two holes underneath in front of the anal fins, one of them is the ovipositor (delivers the eggs). Males only have one hole in front of the anal fin.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Huh, Learn something every day Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the report Skip. Always a good read.

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the explanation I learned something as well.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast