Good Information Snake head.....Coming soon to your local grocery store - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Bill,

I think as recreational fishermen we should recognize that the biologists that work as state employees in state fishery management are functioning as regulators and fishery promoters in a policy world, rather than as _objective scientists_ testing hypothesis using the scientific method and presenting their results to their peers and to the public.

In the science realm the scientific _research_ results are always peer reviewed and published in scientific journals.

It was VA Dept of Game and Inland "fishery biologists" that introduced blue cats to a river system in Virginia under the (grossly mistaken) assumption that salinity patterns in the Bay would prevent the species from moving among and between tidal river systems--it must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

Those guys in hindsight did not do any scientific research or any kind of science-based risk assessment or cost/benefit analysis before the introduction, and it was clearly a moronic decision that should never have been made in the first place.

Bottom line is that state employees with science degrees that work in management should not be confused with objective research scientists.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Bill,

I think as recreational fishermen we should recognize that the biologists that work as state employees in state fishery management are functioning as regulators and fishery promoters in a policy world, rather than as _objective scientists_ testing hypothesis using the scientific method and presenting their results to their peers and to the public.

In the science realm the scientific _research_ results are always peer reviewed and published in scientific journals.

It was VA Dept of Game and Inland "fishery biologists" that introduced blue cats to a river system in Virginia under the (grossly mistaken) assumption that salinity patterns in the Bay would prevent the species from moving among and between tidal river systems--it must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

Those guys in hindsight did not do any scientific research or any kind of science-based risk assessment or cost/benefit analysis before the introduction, and it was clearly a moronic decision that should never have been made in the first place.

Bottom line is that state employees with science degrees that work in management should not be confused with objective research scientists.
    Agree. Was hinting at that in a subtle way. I know how the politics works at a university. Can only imagine DNR employees have to at least consider the party line. Snakeheads are bad and have to be eradicated--SAV is bad as it is chocking the props of influential cruiser owners who would like to see it gone and much more. That is why I take anything the MD DNR proclaims and does with a huge grain of salt. It is a political animal and has to be considered as such. I said I was puzzled as a point of discussion but I am not really puzzled by the discrepancy in "scientific" outcomes.

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!

I totally agree with SteveL and Wild Bill. They were told for years that Liberty Reservoir had spawning stripers but DNR always said it didn’t. It seems that the DNR has become very political. Many great biologists and people have been fired for not towing the political line.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Around the early to mid 80s ,I was fishing from shore at Liberty with chicken liver for Stripers. I took the old bait off and threw it in the water and it was covered up by small stripers. I called the DNR to ask when they stocked the small stripers and they said the didn't but thanks for the news because they must be spawning .
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Damm I thought things were bad in southeast Florida when they moved the legal size of Mutton snapper to 18 inches, you boys have real problems. Saw all this coming 13 years ago. BTW sure am glad I sold my home down in Bishops head Dorchester county should be under water this time next year. Not to worry all the Sika deer will be lounging on the beach in OC and you will be able to bowhunt all the Snakeheads you want in blackwater.

Blog Entries

That was a smart move. Dorchester is full of gnats,chiggers and mosquitos .I don't know how you could stand living there . But now it will be underwater too. I was offered 20 acres with a pond for a ridiculous price years ago. By the time I made it back to the car after looking at the property I was all bit up. And that was late November. At least in Fla. all you have to put up with is suffocating heat , humidity, hot ,tropical sun like being under a magnifying glass 6 months a year and crime. Crime is one thing you didn't have on Eastern Shore . You could leave your wallet on the hood of your car and it would still be there a month later.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    That was a smart move. Dorchester is full of gnats,chiggers and mosquitos .I don't know how you could stand living there . But now it will be underwater too. I was offered 20 acres with a pond for a ridiculous price years ago. By the time I made it back to the car after looking at the property I was all bit up. And that was late November. At least in Fla. all you have to put up with is suffocating heat , humidity, hot ,tropical sun like being under a magnifying glass 6 months a year and crime. Crime is one thing you didn't have on Eastern Shore . You could leave your wallet on the hood of your car and it would still be there a month later.
    Lately a lot of houses have been broken into around Wingate and Bishophead.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by longtail View Post
    Caught my share, 3 yesterday at a pond in Jessup. All three got the hammer to head and tossed into the bushes. The 2 bass I caught were released immediately. Ospreys won’t even touch. It was an ok fight, but they’re over rated.

Turd fish, if you ask me.

You can eat em all you want and boast, but I won’t.

Yuck!!!
    I'll look for those fish you tossed in the bushes. A lot of the ones in there are smaller so it's not surprising the fight disappointed you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunman View Post
    Lately a lot of houses have been broken into around Wingate and Bishophead.
    If you're starting to have problems now I have a feeling it will get worse this summer.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678