Need some Help Striped Bass Fishing in Pasadena

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Striped Bass Fishing in Pasadena

Hi, I'm new to the forum, hoping this is the right place to post for some fishing advice. I plan on fishing near Downs Park in Pasadena, MD this upcoming weekend. I've caught plenty of catfish and perch in my previous trips, but I'd like to try to catch a striped bass. My question is, during this time of the year, are striped bass something that I can reasonably expect to catch there? I believe it is only about 5 feet of water that I'll be in, right off of a pier.

I've caught a few smaller rockfish at the same location in late September, but I was just curious to know if any rockfish were around the shallower water this time of year in that part of the bay, and what techniques/baits I could try if so.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Not sure about that but I know at Sandy Point they catch a few early morning and at dusk

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Keeper Rock will move into shallow water. Early morning and late evening will be best bet - so will cloudy days. A rising tide will offer best chances.

If you can catch a small 3-5 inch White Perch or even better a Spot - try rigging a rod with one live under a bobber. Set bobber 2-4 feet. The slip bobbers are best - look for ones that hold line until Rock takes the live fish.

Cut bait or cut crab will work but right now more likely to get you a Catfish.

Casting lures should work too - 3-4 inch top water very early or late. A 1/8 to 3/8 leadhead / bucktail with a 5 inch plastic Bass assassin type tail.

Small 3-5 inch swimming plugs ( Rapala type ) or Rattle Traps. Cut off one hook of the trebles or better - swap out for larger single hook.

Watch for swirls - not uncommon for Rock in shallows to give you a clue.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sailfish View Post
    Keeper Rock will move into shallow water. Early morning and late evening will be best bet - so will cloudy days. A rising tide will offer best chances.

If you can catch a small 3-5 inch White Perch or even better a Spot - try rigging a rod with one live under a bobber. Set bobber 2-4 feet. The slip bobbers are best - look for ones that hold line until Rock takes the live fish.

Cut bait or cut crab will work but right now more likely to get you a Catfish.

Casting lures should work too - 3-4 inch top water very early or late. A 1/8 to 3/8 leadhead / bucktail with a 5 inch plastic Bass assassin type tail.

Small 3-5 inch swimming plugs ( Rapala type ) or Rattle Traps. Cut off one hook of the trebles or better - swap out for larger single hook.

Watch for swirls - not uncommon for Rock in shallows to give you a clue.
    Thanks for the info. I was looking at this tide chart.
    I'm guessing that based on what you're saying, trying to fish at either ~5am or 5pm would be the best time to go?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tide_chart.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	252927  

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yes , if you can get a high or rising tide very early - chances are very good.

Old adage - one hour before or after high tide is good. The tide will be roughly one hour later each day - so if you catch at 6 am on Monday - same pattern should be about 7 am on Tuesday.

On days the wind is blowing onto the shore - it can be OK fishing as wind will push some bait to shore and waves will stir up bottom.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sailfish View Post
    Yes , if you can get a high or rising tide very early - chances are very good.

Old adage - one hour before or after high tide is good. The tide will be roughly one hour later each day - so if you catch at 6 am on Monday - same pattern should be about 7 am on Tuesday.

On days the wind is blowing onto the shore - it can be OK fishing as wind will push some bait to shore and waves will stir up bottom.
    thanks! i'll give it a try