Need some Help New Inshore Angler
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default New Inshore Angler

Hey guys,

New to this forum and I'm itching to get started on my inshore fishing here in the Norfolk/VA beach area(I currently live in the Richmond VA Area). Any suggestions on where to go without a boat? I would love to hear some ideas and spots!

I hope to get a rod and reel soon(open to suggestions) and some tackle and head out there.

If any of you are looking for a fishing buddy I would love to join.

Trying for the Inshore Slam(Red, Flounder and Speckled Trout)

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Without a boat, my suggestions would be the James River Pier in Newport News, Buckroe Pier in Hampton, Oceanview Pier in Norfolk and Virginia Beach Pier. There is a place at the end of Virginia we refer to as The Rail (walkway beside Rudee Inlet.) All those places will produce the species you mentioned. I've caught several flounder at James River Pier. Rudee inlet produces specs and you might luck up on a Pup. (red/puppy drum) On a side note, there are two closer piers at Gloucester Point and Yorktown which are on the York River. I mentioned the other ones first because they are supplied by bigger water. Both those piers produce flounder also along with the usual fair, croaker, spot, sea mullet and oh yes, crabs. Hope this helps.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thank you so much for the help.

The Pier fishing set up should be a Medium-Heavy rod with a 3000 and up reel correct?

I would probably be jigging if i wanted a Puppy Drum right?

Again thanks!

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Gulp Swimming Mullet are your friend. Chartreuse and white, 1/4 oz jig head. Use a heavier or lighter jig based on the current/depth.

Piers are a good idea, but I'd look hard for some places to wade and fish. Lynnhaven inlet is good at times, I've caught pups, flounder and small specks there (never on the same day).The area off the north end of virginia beach near Fort Story has big rock jetties that hold fish, and if you can get out on them without busting a leg, its probably worth it. Popping corks help in that area. Give them a quick youtube view for directions on use.

Bethel Beach in Mathews can be good, and has plenty of room to find some moving water. Specks are around there right now and schoolie rock. That'd be a bit closer to you than driving to VB.

In general, if you're wade fishing, try and find moving water, cast uptide/upstream, then bump the jig along the bottom back to you.

Best of luck.

If you really want to get into the inshore fish--- get a kayak. Low financial barrier to entry, big reward.