Question Catfish Rig

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catfish Rig

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Catfish Rig

What is your favorite setup for catfish?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Exactly the same as for chumming or live-lining.

Chuck

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

3' mono leader with 8/0 circle hook to a swivel to 40 lb braid with a fish finder rig and a 4 oz no roll sinker. You can go lighter if current is less...... Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    3' mono leader with 8/0 circle hook to a swivel to 40 lb braid with a fish finder rig and a 4 oz no roll sinker. You can go lighter if current is less...... Gary
    Gary,

You are obviously targeting big catfish with that setup. I usually catch 3 to 5 every outing between 6 and 8 lbs. No special setup. I've caught them on swim baits, spinners, soft crabs, whatever. They are aggressive and will bite anything. If you are targeting them, Gary is the man with the setup.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mremmfish View Post
    Gary,

You are obviously targeting big catfish with that setup. I usually catch 3 to 5 every outing between 6 and 8 lbs. No special setup. I've caught them on swim baits, spinners, soft crabs, whatever. They are aggressive and will bite anything. If you are targeting them, Gary is the man with the setup.

Mike
    I am after monster cats but I still catch 5-10 pounders on the same rig....... Gary

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mremmfish View Post
    Gary,

Mike
    When in doubt, just downsize the circle, and as Gary said, downsize the sinker as the current decreases.

Blog Entries

For anywhere in the upper Bay or Susquehanna I like a 1/8 oz-1/4 oz jig head depending on current and depth with a swimming mullet gulp or other plastic grub/twister tail dipped in garlic dip n glo. cast out retrieve fast enough to keep it off the bottom. If you don't like to fish for your fish just go the hook,line. sinker , bait and wait for a bite. AKA Do nothing rig. I caught over 30 channel cats on this in the Susquehanna drifting in a kayak in about 4 hrs. My son and I caught 25 Small mouth on this rig one day in the Susquehanna too. Scents make sense when fishing for catfish
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    For anywhere in the upper Bay or Susquehanna I like a 1/8 oz-1/4 oz jig head depending on current and depth with a swimming mullet gulp or other plastic grub/twister tail dipped in garlic dip n glo. cast out retrieve fast enough to keep it off the bottom. If you don't like to fish for your fish just go the hook,line. sinker , bait and wait for a bite. AKA Do nothing rig. I caught over 30 channel cats on this in the Susquehanna drifting in a kayak in about 4 hrs. My son and I caught 25 Small mouth on this rig one day in the Susquehanna too.
    Capt.Nick,

A few questions...

1. Do you honestly feel that if people don't fish the same way as you they're not "fishing"?
    2. I can't remember seeing a post by you that was helpful. Do you just post to see your "name" online?
    3. Are you just simply an asshole?

Not so respectfully,
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Just an assshole like you. Tell me how you think this wasn't helpful just because you were offended?. I 'll bet you never fished for catfish while casting artificial lures and if you did you never posted it . Where have you ever seen any one write about that ? I would think it was helpful for people that don't fish for catfish because they don't want to fish like you.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Gary, do you use chicken livers or any of those "just for catfish" baits or should I stick with the standard fresh LY like fishing for rock? I'm guessing that chicken livers are cheaper... But do they put out more scent?

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast