Catfish cleaning

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Catfish cleaning

FYI- Just finished a episode of meat eater- great show. They were catfishing. Two different guys filleted them, both did the same cuts... 1. skip the belly meat. 2. After skinning the filet, place the skin side up and slide your knife longways to remove all the red meat and fat. There's not much, but it's Supposed to really improve flavor. I always Remove red flesh on fish like rock, but never did it on cats.

Can't wait to give it a try.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I remove the dark red meat on all fish.

If I am not mistaken that is also where alot of the contaminants can be stored. If nothing else it improves the flavor.

Generally catfish is very mild and when cleaned up properly, is excellent table fare.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by done workin View Post
    I remove the dark red meat on all fish.

If I am not mistaken that is also where alot of the contaminants can be stored. If nothing else it improves the flavor.

Generally catfish is very mild and when cleaned up properly, is excellent table fare.

Chris
    From what I've read, the dark meat is the fat, and is where where the biggest concentration of mercury is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The catfish I keep are 24" or smaller and have a lot less of the red meat. The bigger the fish, the more contaminants they have. I can't imagine the mercury in a 600 pound bluefin tuna!......... Gary

How to clean a catfish

Assuming you can catch a catfish, the best way is to follow these directions to the tee.
    First you will need a North American Hickory Tree that is not too small and not too big. A tree that will allow easy access to the main trunk and not be to “barky” and or too smooth either.
    Next go down to local hardware store and purchase a 60 penny non-galvanized nail and a good hammer.
    Two pairs of pliers and a good pocketknife. Also small sharp hatchet is always help full.
    A good-sized chunk of wood to help remove the nail picked up from the scrape bin is helpful too.
    Assemble all your tools in a logical order on a table next to the proper sized Hickory Tree. Some baggies are also helpful to put the cleaned fish into later.
    Nail the catfish to the tree thru the head and slide it out a bit on the nail so you can slice the skin around the fish just down from the gill area. Next take the plyers and grab the skin on both sides and pull down to remove the skin.
    Next take the hand axe and chop the head off and remove the entrails.
    Use the chunk of wood to pull the nail and repeat the process.

Capt Mike

8. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements