Fishing Report Sandy Point - Weds - quick trip

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Sandy Point - Weds - quick trip

Been itching to get out but work and / or weather not letting me. Saw decent weather today and incoming current starting about 11:30 at bridge. No secret about bite on east side - just take a number - type fishing.

Stopped by Anglers for bait - 3 live small soft crabs , dozen blood worms and 3 pack of frozen Menhaden.

Launched and ran east - light chop but got better once on east side. Lot of boats all crowded together - I went around " the fleet " and soon saw a commercial hook / liner I know. He had same idea - screw playing bumper boats.

Current was just moving in - wind from ENE - made anchoring a challenge. Got it right 3rd try and drifted 1/4 soft crab back with big split shot. Drag was tight - if Rock runs it will cut line on pilings. Put one frozen Menhaden in bucket of bay water to thaw.

Took 3-4 tries to get right combination of where to gently place the crab but soon saw line jump. Pointed tip at fish and ever so slightly lifted to let circle hook ( 8/0 Mustad ) engage. Nice fight from pretty 23 incher. Wind shifted and had to turn engines to act as rudder to get boat in position but soon second fish was on ice. 24 incher and healthy.

Limit in about 10 minutes - I pulled anchor and smiled as two other boats jockeyed to get the spot I left. Ran SW at 30 knots to Hacketts and looked around with meter. Found few marks in 18 and set up. Bloodworm on bottom rig - cut bait on two rods with fish finder for Catfish. Got few 5-6 inch Perch but nothing great.

Moved around - surprised no other boats fishing. Wind died down - very nice afternoon. Found really nice school of Perch - in 22 feet. It covered bottom and came up about 6-12 inches. It was on fire - double headers but nothing over 8 inches. 5-6 small Rock ( 5-7 inchers ) mixed in.

The Catfish rods got hit four times. Landed one nice Channel and lost a big Blue Cat at boat as it rolled. Looked fat - maybe 6-7 pounder. Other two hits did not come tight.

While Perch fishing - felt a tap,tap,tap - could it be ? Hooked it but it got loose. Few minutes later - happened again and soon saw a Spot . Perfect live lining size 6 inches long. Figures I had limit of Rock but great to see one mixed with Catfish. Not sure how many places in the world you can get Perch , Rock , Spot and Cat.

Fished for about 30 minutes more - then ran in about 3:00. Idea was to beat traffic - but no luck as 50/97 split was very slow. No complaints though - nice cooler of fish.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice I Report as usual

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks for the report, nice job on the mix of fish. You just never know what's going to come up next.

Mike

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Thanks for the report Skip, nice day on the bay. Can't wait to get out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sailfish View Post
    Been itching to get out but work and / or weather not letting me. Saw decent weather today and incoming current starting about 11:30 at bridge. No secret about bite on east side - just take a number - type fishing.

Stopped by Anglers for bait - 3 live small soft crabs , dozen blood worms and 3 pack of frozen Menhaden.

Launched and ran east - light chop but got better once on east side. Lot of boats all crowded together - I went around " the fleet " and soon saw a commercial hook / liner I know. He had same idea - screw playing bumper boats.

Current was just moving in - wind from ENE - made anchoring a challenge. Got it right 3rd try and drifted 1/4 soft crab back with big split shot. Drag was tight - if Rock runs it will cut line on pilings. Put one frozen Menhaden in bucket of bay water to thaw.

Took 3-4 tries to get right combination of where to gently place the crab but soon saw line jump. Pointed tip at fish and ever so slightly lifted to let circle hook ( 8/0 Mustad ) engage. Nice fight from pretty 23 incher. Wind shifted and had to turn engines to act as rudder to get boat in position but soon second fish was on ice. 24 incher and healthy.

Limit in about 10 minutes - I pulled anchor and smiled as two other boats jockeyed to get the spot I left. Ran SW at 30 knots to Hacketts and looked around with meter. Found few marks in 18 and set up. Bloodworm on bottom rig - cut bait on two rods with fish finder for Catfish. Got few 5-6 inch Perch but nothing great.

Moved around - surprised no other boats fishing. Wind died down - very nice afternoon. Found really nice school of Perch - in 22 feet. It covered bottom and came up about 6-12 inches. It was on fire - double headers but nothing over 8 inches. 5-6 small Rock ( 5-7 inchers ) mixed in.

The Catfish rods got hit four times. Landed one nice Channel and lost a big Blue Cat at boat as it rolled. Looked fat - maybe 6-7 pounder. Other two hits did not come tight.

While Perch fishing - felt a tap,tap,tap - could it be ? Hooked it but it got loose. Few minutes later - happened again and soon saw a Spot . Perfect live lining size 6 inches long. Figures I had limit of Rock but great to see one mixed with Catfish. Not sure how many places in the world you can get Perch , Rock , Spot and Cat.

Fished for about 30 minutes more - then ran in about 3:00. Idea was to beat traffic - but no luck as 50/97 split was very slow. No complaints though - nice cooler of fish.

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!

Great Report Skip ........ Thanks

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

That was a good report. Thanks!

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks Skip!

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Great report! You're always very informative.