Good Information Tips for fishing bay bridge - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Agreed!!! I saved some miles and fuel by looking through the glasses from the mouth of the Severn....and that was Thursday! Last year all over. Last of the stock being yanked out. Sad.
    Last of the stock? Maybe so but I also think the state is to blame for that. I think their regs are causing a lot of it. I see dead rockfish floating all over the place and they are the ones the state says you can't keep. You go fishing and catch a half dozen fish and let 4 of them go and keep 2. At least two of the ones you let go die so you have actually taken 4. You want to save rockfish make the regs 2 fish any size and encourage people NOT to throw back. I'm happy with a 16 incher. Now outlaw pound nets and the recreational fisherman is not going to be yanking the last of the stock out. That's coming from someone with a degree in fisheries science that used to work with Florida and Tennessee conducting fish census and setting limits. The Maryland rockfish regulations do not make sense. In a perfect world where the ones you let go live to catch another day maybe, but that isn't the case.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon lines View Post
    Last of the stock? Maybe so but I also think the state is to blame for that. I think their regs are causing a lot of it. I see dead rockfish floating all over the place and they are the ones the state says you can't keep. You go fishing and catch a half dozen fish and let 4 of them go and keep 2. At least two of the ones you let go die so you have actually taken 4. You want to save rockfish make the regs 2 fish any size and encourage people NOT to throw back. I'm happy with a 16 incher. Now outlaw pound nets and the recreational fisherman is not going to be yanking the last of the stock out. That's coming from someone with a degree in fisheries science that used to work with Florida and Tennessee conducting fish census and setting limits. The Maryland rockfish regulations do not make sense. In a perfect world where the ones you let go live to catch another day maybe, but that isn't the case.
    Thanks. Good plan. Too bad local pols will not consider it! Maybe they will commission a two year study on your comments though and then invite public comment on your comments and then....and the....and then..😡😡😡😡

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Great Information Skip!! Thank You so very Much, its guys like YOU that keep me ( and others) coming back to TF

Your Awesome

Capt Ted

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon lines View Post
    could not have said it better. Years ago when my son was 4 or 5, I would take him to a pay-to-fish trout pond not far from my house, in frederick county. Rules were simple. All fish must be landed with a net and all fish landed must be kept. Never once saw a floating trout. Trout (much like stripers in warm water) are not real resilient. Had they allowed catch and release, they would have needed to hire an extra person to skim off the floaters. Around $3.25 a pound back then
    , didn't take long to get "my limit". Like shootin ducks in a barrel but he got a big kick out of it.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Hey Gary, are the Smallies still decent up there?? I'm about ready to dump the Bay and go back to my Smallie fly and light tackle roots!
    Largemouth in the potomac where I fish. Smallies and walleye further up the river north of Chain Bridge....... Gary

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!

Thanks Skip. you always come through with the good information.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    I rode to the Bridge yesterday,laughed and left.LOL...No way I'm going going to deal with that cluster.....
    I may look into it, but I was already thinking something along those lines.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCat09 View Post
    I may look into it, but I was already thinking something along those lines.
    Went out yesterday evening and it wasnt bad at all, got away from the anchored boats and jigged. First drift landed a nice 23 then 13-20 almost every drift. The school was so thik i could feel jig bumping into them

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Skip, great info, as usual. It reminded me of what you showed me when we've fished the bridge years ago. Based on my own experience as a bridge newbie, I'd add just a couple points for other bridge newbies:

(1) If you're new to bridge fishing and/or anchoring near structures in current, wait for a calm day to try this the first time. I and others I know ran into trouble and had some close calls with anchors slipping, anchors getting stuck and things transpiring much more quickly than you can easily react. Calmer conditions are much more forgiving.

(2) Related to #1, keep a lookout for big ship traffic. Most ships just make a big swell, although even that can knock you off your feet if you're not expecting it or knock your anchor loose. But some hull designs make steep, breaking wakes that can be dangerous to small boats. The more time you have to react, the more likely you can prepare (lift the anchor, turn into the waive, distribute balance in the boat, turn on pump, etc.). I see Jon Boats at the bridge, but I'd personally never take one there (or anywhere on the open Bay) for this reason.

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23