Question cobia
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors

Thread: cobia

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default cobia

im going to try my hand at some cobia this year I know the cbbt is the place as well as the 9ft bar a little south of that but im looking for somewhere closer to the mouth of the rapp. I heard that windmill point or the smith point light are good to try and I never have eaten it either some im looking for info on that as well anyone who has fished for them before I could use your input thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Make sure that you get a free permit and that your report your landings or not landings on schedule.

https://webapps.mrc.virginia.gov/pub...mits/index.php

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Windmill point is a safe bet, just about anywhere on the shoal will produce. I go out towards the end to get away from the crowd. You will need a chum bag, hang it over the side and the wave action will do the work for you. I use both small croaker and eels and a large circle hook on a fish finder rig. Let them run on the clicker for a little and then flip the lever and fish on. You will catch alot of sharks and rays, that's just part of it. I swear the cobia bite best at the tail end of tide and the beginning of the next tide. So try to be ready about an hour before slack and an hour after, that seems to be my most productive. If you dont wear them out before bringing them into the boat they can do some damage, beware of the spines from the back of the head to the fin. They are very good eating mild fish, clean it like a large striper or youtube cleaning it. Eat it however you like any mild fish.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Thanks WV. I'm use to flounder fishing at the cbbt and I have had zero luck around gwynn's island and the Piankatank . I was going to try cobia at some point. I come out of queens creek.

I cobia fished last sunday, it was terrible. I didnt even catch one shark or stingray. I didnt go to windmill, but hit a couple of my spots south of there. Im not hearing much around the dock either. A few cobia have come in, but sounds slow in general. I caught croaker as fast as soon as rig hit bottom, none of them big enough to bother cleaning. Same with spot, plenty of bait sized ones.

8. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements