Question Are Sunnies as good as spot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Are Sunnies as good as spot?

I live on the Chester river and can catch a dozen or so 3 inch sunnies in about an hour right off my dock. They look similar to spot but more color to them. Anyone use these guys live lining for strippers with success?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Dont know about the strippers, but I've often wondered the same thing about stripers. I would think so.

Blog Entries

Worth a try I have never used them so give them a try might work as long as u keep them alive Skip will probably know we will see if he weighs in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I don't thing they are as good as spot. The are hard and spiney like a perch, not soft like a spot. It all depends how frisky they would be in salt water and how long they would stay alive, both in the livewell and the water. Perch work but when spot show up, forget it. Sure wouldnt hurt to try.......Gary

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    I don't thing they are as good as spot. The are hard and spiney like a perch, not soft like a spot. It all depends how frisky they would be in salt water and how long they would stay alive, both in the livewell and the water. Perch work but when spot show up, forget it. Sure wouldnt hurt to try.......Gary
    That's just what I was thinking. I thought it a little odd because they look like and I think they are what we always caught in freshwater called a pumpkinseed or sunfish. I'm right on the bay across from Baltimore and I guess it's a little more brackish than I thought or these guys don't mind a little salt. It isn't like I am catching them in fresh water and taking them to the bay, I'll be fishing with them just a couple miles from where I caught them. I've got a dozen or so in the bait well and intend to try them but was just wondering if anyone else has used them. After a little over 24 hrs they look as frisky as they did when I put them in there. Bait well is a good size and I have a bubbler on a second battery that I think will keep them for a good while. (hope I don't kill that battery).

Quote Originally Posted by christmasshad View Post
    Dont know about the strippers, but I've often wondered the same thing about stripers. I would think so.
    Ok rockfish, is that better?

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Are Sunnies as good as spot?

No.

The goal is to offer the same food source the fish are feeding on. As fly fishermen say "match the hatch". That said, I wouldn't have much faith using them but I do think Black Salties would be worth a try.

I also catch a ton of minnows in a trap but have had a few tell me they are worthless for rockfish? Some a pretty good size too (over 2 inches). Anyone here live lined with minnows for rock?

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Minnows work in cold weather times in the Kent Narrows. You can catch rock fish with them in very cold weather.
    Last edited by andypat; 06-20-2019 at 02:30 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast