Question Future of Chesapeake charters

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Future of Chesapeake charters

I grew up commercial crabbing and after attempting to go out on my own 900 pots many years ago I decided it wasnt the right career path. I joined the military and when time allowed I worked on charter boats 10+ yrs on Chesapeake and several more in FL from tampa to key west, as I approach retirement due to the location of my kids I think about going back to my roots on the Chesapeake and running charters however I remember the biggest time for profit was the spring and fall trophy seasons, if they close the spring season how will this effect the charter fleet, what will they target snakeheads or catfish? These species where for sure a by catch and not targeted years ago, I'm not looking to start a debate I am seriously asking if there Is any future in starting/rekindling charter fishing in the upper bay, if I wasnt tied to the area I surely would be moving back to key west 🎣 truely amazing fishery down there

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

No one knows the future of the striper in the bay or what future regulations will be. I would not rely on being a charter for a living but if you are retired and do it part time it might be worth while. Florida has a great fishery but family is more important!....... Gary

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I just don't see it as a viable business for the near future. That being said, if your retired and just looking to pay your fishing bills then why not. Your tied to the area anyhow...

Capt. Ted

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Can you do what some of the good old Captains in the Kent Island, and Grasonville area did. They fished the Chesapeake in spring and summer, then fished Pine Island FL. in the winter. I loved FL. Old age and family brought me back to Eastern Shore. Good luck what ever you do.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Eco-charters are also a good filler type trips. Not many around and if have the right boat you can do both. I have been at it for 28 years now and have changed fishing lanes many times. There is always something out there that is fun and enjoyable.

Capt Mike

8. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements