Tidal Fish Forum banner

When can you clean catfish

Question 
2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  crabby and son 
#1 ·
Ok my question is not how do you do it but when can you do it. I know that if you show up at the dock with Rockfish filets you are in some serious trouble. However, if channel catfish are invasive and DNR says kill them don't throw them back, does that mean if I do want to keep them I can clean them on my way back to the dock? It is so much easier. Is DNR going to say you can't clean fish until you are home or can they tell what they are looking at and have no problem with you having already filleted them?

#3 ·
Thanks, I thought so and yes I'm tidal. Last time I came in with some channel cat fillets someone said you better be careful doing that and it scared me. It would be kind of odd for the state to tell me they are invasive and to kill them even if you don't keep them just make sure you don't fillet them before you get back to the dock.:eek2:

Although I wonder what fish does have catch or creel limits that is very hard if not impossible to tell the difference between it and channel cat without some real sophisticated testing?

#7 ·
Blue cats the other white meat. When in doubt take some wasabi and eat the evidence
I know you're probably just joking. Fresh water fish is never used in sushi. They do have Unagi which is a freshwater eel but it is always served roasted. You have to be real careful when you eat raw fish.I have been tearing up the fresh caught tuna from Saturday. Soy and wasabi!!😋😋........ Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.