Headed south
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headed south

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Headed south

After a very disappointing trip to the south river, headed way south and got 4 stuffed bushels over the last 2 days. Clams and necks in 4 to 7 feet. Starting at 7am finished by noon both days. Lots of smalls and females.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I usually crab the Magothy and have been heading way south on the shore for over a month now but each trip I've got triple digits

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice job trash. Did you go to eastern shore or stay on the west side?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

We stayed on a western shore river. An area I followed my brother in law to.

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Crabs are where you find them. It's just like hunting other game. My grandson & I managed over 2 bushels of mixed males Wednesday and couldn't fit any more into the 150 quart cooler that we took to contain the crabs instead of placing them in baskets in the hot air. They were culled to a minimum of 5 1/4".
    Surprisingly we caught only 23 sooks. Many hundreds of 3" crabs were returned to be caught again as keepers later in the season. There were many other commercial crabbers nearby, but they didn't fare as well with some not reaching the half bushel mark for their efforts.

We ran out of clams while baiting the last 600' segment of line so we interspersed the clam bags between fowl necks for that last segment of line. Much to my surprise the necks caught very well. The magic depth for us was from 4' thru 7'. All in all it was a very good day for us and we'll be reaping the reward for our effort this afternoon with family and friends at our crab feast.

We decided not to "cross over the bridge" where it has been said 3 and 4 bushel days have been the norm. Instead we selected a mid western shore river and chose an area that we haven't crabbed at for several years. It paid off for us.

Happy and safe INDEPENDENCE DAY to all.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by POLECAT View Post
    Crabs are where you find them. It's just like hunting other game. My grandson & I managed over 2 bushels of mixed males Wednesday and couldn't fit any more into the 150 quart cooler that we took to contain the crabs instead of placing them in baskets in the hot air. They were culled to a minimum of 5 1/4".
    Surprisingly we caught only 23 sooks. Many hundreds of 3" crabs were returned to be caught again as keepers later in the season. There were many other commercial crabbers nearby, but they didn't fare as well with some not reaching the half bushel mark for their efforts.

We ran out of clams while baiting the last 600' segment of line so we interspersed the clam bags between fowl necks for that last segment of line. Much to my surprise the necks caught very well. The magic depth for us was from 4' thru 7'. All in all it was a very good day for us and we'll be reaping the reward for our effort this afternoon with family and friends at our crab feast.

We decided not to "cross over the bridge" where it has been said 3 and 4 bushel days have been the norm. Instead we selected a mid western shore river and chose an area that we haven't crabbed at for several years. It paid off for us.

Happy and safe INDEPENDENCE DAY to all.
    Is the pvc pipe sticking out of the water still there?

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

In past years there were 2 of them a ways apart. I saw neither of them this trip. Farther south from where they were is better catching. Check it out.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My son is getting them had crabs all July 4th holiday.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Crabbermanjl's Avatar

I got out 6/30 caught 30 with traps w/razors :)

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...... IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Crabbermanjl's Avatar

Went out 7/14=13 keepers :(

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...... IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast