Tidal Fish Forum banner

sat 6 /22/ 19

Fishing Report 
3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  fishnnk 
#1 ·
fished for cobia at windmill point out just past the marker along with lots of others, use eels and chum no bites, not even the bloodworms where doing anything had a nw wind @ 11 kts stay out till 2 pm started at 8 am tides was 3 hour from dead low when I drop lines and fishing incoming tide going to try trolling for Spanish mackle's next if I remember trolling speed for those is around 5 to 6 knots

#2 ·
Thanks for reporting. I keep threatening to make the run down to WP from Lagrange and try my hand at those cobes. Ive never targeted them. Sounds like you gave it a good go. Good luck on those spanish. I have heard of them catching at up to 8kts if you want to avoid blues

#4 ·
Got this one on 7/5. He was a little over 50”. Biggest fish I have ever caught in the Bay. They are there , just have to put In time.

Caught a 43” on 7/4. We have caught several undersized fish as well.

FWIW last year I went three times and got skunked , I wanted to give up on Cobia until I met a few friends that helped me out and now I am hooked.

Attachments

#5 ·
We fished there as well friday and never got one or a run. The eels came back with either the head or the tail missing and the body would be gnawed on. We are just learning to fish for cobia and we could use any help provided. Should we be hooking the eel through the tail or through the mouth. We are fishing on the top and the bottom and using chum. Does any weight need to be used on the top eels as we are seeing the eels very active on top. Any help is appreciated.

#7 ·
In my limited experience with chumming for Cobia (I sight cast for them mostly), I find it better to hook them thru the mouth & let them free swim on top or just below the surface. Or use a few split shot to get it in the right water column once you locate where they are. Cobia like to engulf their food by the head & swallow it. SO circle hooks are a must. The bottom .... just enough weight to get it to the bottom. Bead + Egg sinker + bead + swivel = about 2 - 3 feet of fluorocarbon, to allow the eel to swim freely a bit off the bottom & keep it away from the crabs. Hence why you returned them with missing heads and tails. Try this technique and see what happens. You may hook up & you may not. You can then come back & tell me I'm full of shiznit & to keep my opinions to myself. :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.