Question SPOONS
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors

Thread: SPOONS

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default SPOONS

I have several types of spoons Clark and otherwise. I don't have plainers but different assortment of inline sinkers. Want to try trolling for spanish. Alright coach what I do now???

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I am certainly no expert, and I have always had better luck using # 1 & 2 planers as opposed to in-line weights, but have had some degree of success with both. Without planers, I connect the in-line sinker to my main line. Then, using a ball bearing swivel, tie on a leader of 25-30’ and tie the leader directly to the spoon. I believe that my leaders are either #20 or #30. Some will put a ball bearing swivel in the middle of the leader to help with line twist. It has been very well-documented on here over the last couple of years, but Clarkspoons went through a period of having faulty hooks. On the 4th of July, I had a knockdown that didn’t come right, and when I checked things, I had no hook. I have replaced most of my hooks, but I must have missed that one. Drone spoons are also a good option. Whether silver or gold, flash or no flash will work on any given day varies. Try to find what’s working and stick with it as long as it is working. You will have to hand line the fish the length of the leader. I usually troll at 5-8mph. If you are targeting mackerel but catching blues, increase your speed to the upper end of that 5-8mph range. Good luck when you get out.

Default spanish

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    I have several types of spoons Clark and otherwise. I don't have plainers but different assortment of inline sinkers. Want to try trolling for spanish. Alright coach what I do now???
    I am one of those guys that hate handlining the fish in. I like to use mackerel trees with a clark spoon. Usually 75-125 ft out with a 4 oz in line sinker. Planer will definnitly catch larger fish. Some ,one put on this site to try planer close to boat 25 ft or so claiming fish were attracted to prop wash. I tried it and it does work if you don't mind handlining fish. Be sure to use a couple of ball bearing swivels if using mackerel trees or just a spoon. Line twist is major issue. I also slow boat down when hooked up to enjoy fish. Good Luck
    NOTE Had two planer bite off last year, now I use 6-8 inch trolling wire in front of planers

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

You guys are amazing, thanks a bunch. If all goes well, going out Monday. Will let you know what happened.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    You guys are amazing, thanks a bunch. If all goes well, going out Monday. Will let you know what happened.
    Good luck!! I will pile on by emphasizing the need for high-quality swivels. Spoons spin.....A LOT! And line twist will put you out of business immediately. I put swivels on the front, middle, and back of the leader.

Oh, and if you're adventurous, get your heavy gear and drop a #2 planer with a big Drone on it. You just might luck out with a big red.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Curious, why are planets so effective on mack vs in lines?

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Planers

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have often wondered the same. Possibly because the water pressure against the blade of the planer forces it to a particular depth, depending on the size of the planer. Whereas an in-line sinker offers little resistance and cuts through the water, and because of the speed at which you troll for macs prevents the weight/bait from getting down in the water column. Just a guess though. I am interested in other opinions.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by longtail View Post
    Curious, why are planets so effective on mack vs in lines?
    They are NOT! anyone claiming so-- is mislead,, Overall , I think planers have produced more, but some days inline do better!

Guys,, JMHO but if you feel you can figure out fish ...