Need some Help Fishing the Nomini
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Fishing the Nomini

Hey all - hoping to get some general tips on fishing my area. House is on the Lower Machodoc in Glebe Harbor. I prefer active fishing rather than live/cut bait (even if it means I catch less fish) so usually I fish spoons/spinners & topwater lures early morning and sundown, catching lots of perch and small stripers in the shallows.

I’m hosting a small group of friends for a bachelor party near the end of August and I want to show them a good time fishing. I was thinking of taking everyone up the Nomini. From what I gather we should be able to get perch/croaker/striper in Nomini Bay and then as we get further into the creek the water gets fresher and channel cats/largemouth/yellow perch are around.

Is this a good plan? Is there a better spot relatively close to the Machodoc? I want to stay pretty close to home so plans can be flexible.

Appreciate any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Man I wish I could help, but I had to go to Google Map to see where you were talking about. Thanks for the geography lesson and good luck fishing.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You can fish the entrance to Nomoni Bay and you may pick up some schoolie stripers.

Right across the river is St. Clements Island. There is pretty good fishing there. You can definitely get into a mess of Schoolies over there if you look for places where the tide is moving strong. Try the point of land that points towards the 301 bridge. There is a good current that moves through there and I have always had luck there on an outgoing tide, especially 2 hours after high tide if it consists with low light.

You can fish rattletraps, topwater, bucktails, and soft plastics there pretty well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks for the info! Definitely going to try St Clements early morning and sunset

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The inside of the jetty at the mouth of Nomini Creek (Actually where Buckner creek joins Nomini)puts up a very nice rip on the outgoing tide that can be very productive as well.
    Plenty of live bait to be had just on the other side of the Jetty also and plenty of water too just watch for a secondary set of riprap about 200 yards out from and parallel to the main jetty that is submerged even at low water.
    You can't miss the rip when the tide is running.

8. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements