Question Suggestion for Rockfish regulations

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Suggestion for Rockfish regulations

Livelining at the bridge on Sunday with the fleet. We caught about 12 fish and 8 were between 17 and 18.99. A few swallowed the hook and were gut hooked. Got me thinking what if they change the rule so you could keep gut hooked undersized fish if you cut off the hook and left it gut hooked. This would still count against the 2 per person limit, but would mean less dead floating fish. We would have happily kept the fish that were gut hooked and sure were just going to die.

Thoughts

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

In a perfect world that would be a great idea. Everybody is not conservation minded and think like you. It is good to see people that are conservation minded because it doesn't look like the powers that be are going to protect our fishery ....... Gary

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The only way I can see to eliminate/minimize gut hooking fish and also allow fishing is when chumming or live-lining you must keep the first 2 fish you catch regardless of size. If you don't want to keep a 15 inch fish then you fish bigger baits. I see it all the time when fishing is slow people chunking with quarter size chunks hooking 12 in fish. After you have you two fish you jig or troll, as methods to reduce gut hooked fish, if you want to continue to fish for rockfish.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I don't see a real solution to this ongoing problem. There will always be gut hooked fish regardless of the method.
    Stripers are a very aggressive species that will inhale anything they can fit in their mouths. Depending on how hard
    they are feeding and competition it doesn't matter if it is with plastics, circle hooks, metal or umbrella rigs you have seen
    it using them all.

Hopefully one day someone will come up with a better solution. Here's one, put on tighter restrictions. Eliminate trophy season
    for a few years, enforce illegal activities at known places. Make all of the states on the east coast comply together. When the population
    rebounds if it's not already too late no one will be talking about the few dead floaters due to gut hooks.

Mike

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I go with 2 fish in the box per angler and you are done . Regardless of size and fish put in box must b taged. Like us waterfowl hunters do.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Shut down the summer season the way it was after the moratorium was lifted.

While I agree with it in concept, problem with keep first 2 fish is too many who catch smaller fish after spending all the time, effort and money are not taking 15-16” fish home and will still release them. Enforcement would be a nightmare.

The progressive regulations ruined what the moratorium accomplished. Now look what we have.

Simple solution but hardest to accept is to close the summer season, period.

Give the rock a break and go catch Blue Catfish that taste just as good. Buy a cheap kayak and catch Snakeheads. These 2 guys are a gift at a good time.

Chris
    Last edited by done workin; 07-15-2019 at 08:32 PM.

I'd go with no minimum size limit and no explanation needed why you kept a small fish. It has to be better for the stock to keep an undersized fish that's going to die than to toss it back and replace it with a "legal" fish.

The bridge fleet is yanking thousands of fish, many of them critical future spawners. Nothing but shutting it down will save it and our gutless pols will never do it. With all this exceptionally hot water should shut it immediately not wait for more useless data. Yes, I’m a bit grumpy this morning....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    The bridge fleet is yanking thousands of fish, many of them critical future spawners. Nothing but shutting it down will save it and our gutless pols will never do it. With all this exceptionally hot water should shut it immediately not wait for more useless data. Yes, I’m a bit grumpy this morning....
    I'm all for shutting it down. Then let's look at The Conowingo dam silt and sludge mess. We need to protect the spawning grounds.
    Hey, maybe Trump can build us a bigger wall.

Mike

I have to agree. No legal size limit., 2 and your done. The floaters below the bridge is horrific

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast