Question Suggestion for Rockfish regulations - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2345 ... LastLast
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Limiting the fishing time?

Now that might be the dumbest idea yet.

This is just more proof that decisions are not being based on science.

Stress of the catch, bad handling and most of all, HOT WATER temps in the summer are what kill these fish, combined with deep hooking in some cases. I guess the geniuses don’t realize the water doesn’t cool off that much overnight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

What about each boat is given 50 tags or so a year for rock fish 15 inch to 35 inch etc...when renewing boat fishing license? Once you're out of tags you are done catching rockfish. Make the boat fishing license tie in with the boat registration numbers so you cant buy multiple licenses unless you own multiple boats. Regular non boat fishing license gets 20 rockfish tags a year or so on their fishing license. I know there will never be a perfect way to regulate it but I think it would help. Just my $.02. Tommy
    Last edited by Vietpimp999; 07-20-2019 at 02:11 AM.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Went to TPL last evening. Saw a half a dozen 17 inch floaters before we anchored. Using spot and circle hooks we had 4 gut hooked,18 inch fish, out of the first 6 fish that hit.
    Keep the first 2 fish you catch and go home. If you dont like the rule and small fish stay home. Not perfect but it is ridiculous to throw back a dead fish. The rules should be applied to everyone even the Charter guys.

Default Try using larger circle hooks

If you are gut hooking that many smaller fish try upping the size of your circle hooks. It may help from the smaller fish from getting the hook in their gut.

Quote Originally Posted by TMfish View Post
    Went to TPL last evening. Saw a half a dozen 17 inch floaters before we anchored. Using spot and circle hooks we had 4 gut hooked,18 inch fish, out of the first 6 fish that hit.
    Keep the first 2 fish you catch and go home. If you dont like the rule and small fish stay home. Not perfect but it is ridiculous to throw back a dead fish. The rules should be applied to everyone even the Charter guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanna View Post
    If you are gut hooking that many smaller fish try upping the size of your circle hooks. It may help from the smaller fish from getting the hook in their gut.
    I agree. Keep the first 2 that are legal and go do something else.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Theres got to be some tough new regulations soon or we are back to the 70s again unless we get a super spawn which is what they are hoping for but not happening. You need to shut it down in hot water period which includes c and r. I know we all love to fish but thats what you have to do. To the average Joe there seems like a ton of fish around the Bay Bridge but in the total CB watershed there's not. I predict more wait for a super spawn until they have to impose a moratorium again.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

There are many very talented, passionate and highly intelligent biologists and fishery managers working at MD DNR. Three of the best, Tom O'Connel, Martin Gary and Brenda Davis are no longer there due to political adminitration. All of their great work will only go as far as the political administration wants it to go. They completely control funding, direction of project studies and outcome.......... Gary

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    There are many very talented, passionate and highly intelligent biologists and fishery managers working at MD DNR. Three of the best, Tom O'Connel, Martin Gary and Brenda Davis are no longer there due to political adminitration. All of their great work will only go as far as the political administration wants it to go. They completely control funding, direction of project studies and outcome.......... Gary
    Thats a darn shame Gary. Explains a lot to me. Basically its out of our hands. Tragic

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by oncegreatchesbay View Post
    Theres got to be some tough new regulations soon or we are back to the 70s again unless we get a super spawn which is what they are hoping for but not happening. You need to shut it down in hot water period which includes c and r. I know we all love to fish but thats what you have to do. To the average Joe there seems like a ton of fish around the Bay Bridge but in the total CB watershed there's not. I predict more wait for a super spawn until they have to impose a moratorium again.
    Well said! Yes, everyone is yanking thousands of future spawner fish out of the bridge and think it's just a 'change' in the fishery. It's more than a change. Those of us who remember fun fishing for trout, good size croaker, etc in the same area (and no cats!) understand it's just a continuing downward spiral that we are too selfish to pull the reins in on. How full can your freezer get?! I never freeze a fish, enjoy now leave some for the next guy. Here endeth the rant.....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Well said! Yes, everyone is yanking thousands of future spawner fish out of the bridge and think it's just a 'change' in the fishery. It's more than a change. Those of us who remember fun fishing for trout, good size croaker, etc in the same area (and no cats!) understand it's just a continuing downward spiral that we are too selfish to pull the reins in on. How full can your freezer get?! I never freeze a fish, enjoy now leave some for the next guy. Here endeth the rant.....
    Steve I have been reading your posts here for years. I agree totally. Its a mentality in saltwater that has to change. The freshwater guys realized this 40 years ago.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2345 ... LastLast