Question Suggestion for Rockfish regulations - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

It is sad to have to throw back an under sized gut hooked dead rock fish but take a wild guess why this is in the regulations. Yup, there would be many, many folks that would abuse it. I would not do it and many others would not but..... i also agree that if you gut hook an under sized fish, you have to keep it and it goes toward your limit. Regulations are only good for honest people and are enforceable......... Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by oncegreatchesbay View Post
    Steve I have been reading your posts here for years. I agree totally. Its a mentality in saltwater that has to change. The freshwater guys realized this 40 years ago.
    Thanks. Much of my earlier adult fishing life was for smallies on the fly or LT so yes I understand your comment!

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Right now the 20-22” fish are from the 2015 spawn. 2016,2017,2018 were roughly half of what 2015 was, AT BEST. The couple of years prior weren’t much better hence the limited number of bigger fish.

I said limited bigger fish, not non-existent as there are some high 20” to low 30” fish around, but not widespread

Basically take the number of 20-22” fish around this year, cut that in half and thats the best you have to look forward to the next 3 years + whatever survives this years attack, including the floaters from the 2016-2018 classes.

Even if this years spawn was good, one good spawn every 3-4 years isn’t cutting it.

Time for serious change????

Nah, all is good.
    Last edited by done workin; 07-21-2019 at 03:43 PM.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

For the last 15 years I have been doing an annual charter on the Susquehanna Flats with my brother. I also started kayak fishing the bay and rivers last year, and have a lot of friends and acquaintances who have been doing it for many years. The message is almost universal that rockfish have been over-harvested in recent years.

I have never harvested a rockfish, and while I don't hold it against those that do, I still struggle to understand why some people feel the need to harvest their limit every time they go fishing. I drove over the bay bridge a few weeks ago on my way to fish Crab Alley Bay in my kayak, and there must have been 75 boats within a few hundred yards. Weekend after weekend, that many boats, over the course of the season, MUST have an impact on the resource. It is simply not sustainable.

If I were King and could snap my fingers, I would take the following steps:

1. Close the trophy season (for at least a couple of years)
    2. Tighten up the slot (maybe 18 - 22 inches)
    3. No fish over 22 inches (I don't like the 28 inch rule anyway)

There is also the gut hook issue, and this I struggle with. I fish 100% artificial, and I smash all of the barbs on my treble hooks. I have only fished for rockfish with bait once, and that was on a trip I did not arrange - I was a guest. I don't know if there is any science to back it up, but based on my anecdotal evidence the mortality is much better with artificial lures that with bait. I don't begrudge people with that way, but I do have a problem with them knowingly catching and releasing fish that are going to be floating soon after. But I'm not sure you fix that.

My last point is this, and it's easy to be cynical about it, but the charter captain lobby has a VERY strong voice in Annapolis. There is a lot of commerce that runs through those charter boats over the course of the year, and they would scream bloody murder if (as some have suggested) they were limited to X number of keepers per year. It just won't happen.

Steve
    Bel Air, MD

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

What he said, and how about a one fish limit, too?

Quote Originally Posted by BelAirSteve View Post
    For the last 15 years I have been doing an annual charter on the Susquehanna Flats with my brother. I also started kayak fishing the bay and rivers last year, and have a lot of friends and acquaintances who have been doing it for many years. The message is almost universal that rockfish have been over-harvested in recent years.

I have never harvested a rockfish, and while I don't hold it against those that do, I still struggle to understand why some people feel the need to harvest their limit every time they go fishing. I drove over the bay bridge a few weeks ago on my way to fish Crab Alley Bay in my kayak, and there must have been 75 boats within a few hundred yards. Weekend after weekend, that many boats, over the course of the season, MUST have an impact on the resource. It is simply not sustainable.

If I were King and could snap my fingers, I would take the following steps:

1. Close the trophy season (for at least a couple of years)
    2. Tighten up the slot (maybe 18 - 22 inches)
    3. No fish over 22 inches (I don't like the 28 inch rule anyway)

There is also the gut hook issue, and this I struggle with. I fish 100% artificial, and I smash all of the barbs on my treble hooks. I have only fished for rockfish with bait once, and that was on a trip I did not arrange - I was a guest. I don't know if there is any science to back it up, but based on my anecdotal evidence the mortality is much better with artificial lures that with bait. I don't begrudge people with that way, but I do have a problem with them knowingly catching and releasing fish that are going to be floating soon after. But I'm not sure you fix that.

My last point is this, and it's easy to be cynical about it, but the charter captain lobby has a VERY strong voice in Annapolis. There is a lot of commerce that runs through those charter boats over the course of the year, and they would scream bloody murder if (as some have suggested) they were limited to X number of keepers per year. It just won't happen.

Steve
    Bel Air, MD
    There is A LOT more commerce created from recreational fishermen.............. Gary

If the boat manufactuers and the tackle manufactuers ever grew a pair they could take on the good ole boy lobbies in each Atlantic state that Stripers visit. But they wont. The definition of insanity you know.

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    There is A LOT more commerce created from recreational fishermen.............. Gary
    Maybe/maybe not...on what do you base that conclusion?

Is your point that recreational fisherman wouldn't tolerate regulation changes, or that they are not coordinated enough to get together to lobby for regulation changes?

Quote Originally Posted by BelAirSteve View Post
    Maybe/maybe not...on what do you base that conclusion?

Is your point that recreational fisherman wouldn't tolerate regulation changes, or that they are not coordinated enough to get together to lobby for regulation changes?
    My point is that recreational fishermen bring more money to the state. Licenses, fishing equipment, bait, boats, ice and gas. Nothing said about lobbying, regulations or changes...... Gary

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    My point is that recreational fishermen bring more money to the state. Licenses, fishing equipment, bait, boats, ice and gas. Nothing said about lobbying, regulations or changes...... Gary
    Gotcha, but I'm curious if this is your opinion or if you have seen some numbers from the State or DNR - I'd be interested to see that. Charter guys have boats, buy equipment, bait, ice and gas too.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast