Need some Help Advice for saltwater fisherman new to MD/VA area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Advice for saltwater fisherman new to MD/VA area

Hello! I'm in the process of moving to the DC area for a job I'm starting in a week. I was raised in Florida and have been saltwater fishing there for many years, and am bringing up two 4000 and 6000 sized spinning setups I've used for inshore and offshore fishing before. I won't have a boat, but can drive to the Chesapeake or parts of coastal Virginia for a weekend or day trip to fish from shore. I plan on buying a longer 9' or 10' rod to make longer casts from shore as well.

I've never fished in the area before, but have read up on some of the species available. I know stripers are popular (and would love to learn how to fish for them), but what else can I be targeting? I don't mind keeping fish and would love to bring some home on occasion.

Also, is it worthwhile for me to buy a cast net? Netting bait is a big thing for Florida fishing, but I left mine at home as it just took up too much car space. Is it practical to buy one here if I have no boat?

Any information or advice would be helpful, even if it's not super detailed or specific.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Go to the pier and surf.com forum. These guys will be a big help to you. They are all from shore fishermen.

Blog Entries

DiabetoDan, You are going to get tired of people asking you, why did you leave FL. specially in winter. LOL! I moved from Venice FL. to the Eastern Shore of Md. about four years ago, and miss FL. every day. Sounds like your into surf fishing. Your closes spot to DC is Sandy Point State Park. Some of the surf fishing guys will probably give you some Info. We have a lot more fishing then just surf fishing. Good Luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by andypat View Post
    DiabetoDan, You are going to get tired of people asking you, why did you leave FL. specially in winter. LOL! I moved from Venice FL. to the Eastern Shore of Md. about four years ago, and miss FL. every day. Sounds like your into surf fishing. Your closes spot to DC is Sandy Point State Park. Some of the surf fishing guys will probably give you some Info. We have a lot more fishing then just surf fishing. Good Luck!
    I'm actually from Sarasota and did most of my fishing around Venice!

I'm into saltwater fishing, period. Lol. My lack of a boat limits the options a bit, but if there are other options besides surf fishing I'd be happy to explore them. Will make a post on the Pier and Surf forum, thank you both for the advice.

Blog Entries

Did you ever fish the Venice South jetty? That was out hang out and a pretty good place to fish. Attachment 253529

I fished the jetty a ton, but always on the north side. Went a bunch of times in the last month and had an awesome snook bite, plus the usual snapper/mackerel. Lots of tarpon rolling in the early morning there as well.

Learning how to fish the jetty well was a huge part of me developing as an angler I think. Learned a lot of skills that can be applied to tons of other areas. I just saw your reply on the other forum, thank you for the information!

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

So...since both of you are from Florida lemme ask a quick question: I am renting a house in Fort Lauderdale in about 10 days and the intercoastal water way is in the back of the rental house, Im bringing my fishing rods and hopefully do some fishing in the backyard, what kind of fish should I be expecting to catch? Thanks, Tommy

What kind of structure, if any, is around the house? Docks, marker pilings, seawalls, oyster bars, etc? Knowing can help a lot.

It's likely going to be better to fish early and late. Most inshore fishing is pretty slow during the day right now due to the crazy high heat. If the part of the ICW you're on is next to a flat or a large piece of structure, fishing the channel edge during an outgoing tide is a good idea. Might get redfish, snook, ladyfish, mangrove snapper, seatrout, spanish mackerel, jacks, and a bunch of other things. Soaking a live bait or chunk of cutbait in the channel itself might work too. You'll probably catch a lot of catfish (not good to eat and have poison barbs on their fins), but during the summer heat some of the big snook or sharks might cruise through the deeper water. If you see mullet jumping (very likely), tossing a lure in their area can work as larger predators sometimes follow them. Casting to any bait on the surface is always a good idea, use a lure you can work very quickly since most of the time the bait is being harassed by mackerel/jacks and they like it fast.

If there's a dock with a light shining into the water at night that you can cast to, a suspending plug, swimbait, or a 1/4 oz jig is great for snook. They bite much better at night, but will also hang out under docks during the day.
    I haven't fished that area of FL, so talking to a local tackle shop owner about local patterns and what the best baits are would serve you well. I usually fish with live bait that I net, but lure-wise I like to work topwater plugs near structure or a channel edge in the early morning and then switch to a 1/4 oz bucktail or a sardine swimbait during the day.
    Last edited by DiabetoDan; 07-17-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thank you so much man! Its around houses that has boat docks in the back. I will be bringing some lures along and talk to tackle shop workers. Im sorry to say but after fishing in Florida for many years you are going to very dissapointing of Bay fishing here unless you can get to VA Beach area. Thanks again and best of luck fishing in the Bay. Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Vietpimp999 View Post
    Thank you so much man! Its around houses that has boat docks in the back. I will be bringing some lures along and talk to tackle shop workers. Im sorry to say but after fishing in Florida for many years you are going to very dissapointing of Bay fishing here unless you can get to VA Beach area. Thanks again and best of luck fishing in the Bay. Tommy
    No problem. Hopefully I can make something work here haha. I'd definitely focus on fishing the channel edge and under the deeper docks if they're around. If there's a seawall nearby, that is a great place to fish topwater early morning. Work it parallel to the wall and the jacks/snook will smash it if they're present

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast