Fishing Report Fast limit - Sandy Point - 7 / 16

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Fast limit - Sandy Point - 7 / 16

Got to Sandy Point at 11:30 am after quick stop at Anglers for bloodworms and ice. They had the " jumbo " worms - six for $13.00. Beats the hell out of the regular ones in Mike's bag. Often there will be 5-6 not much bigger than a toothpick.

The jumbos are what we used to get as regular - dozen was all 6-8 inchers with a few " snakes " about 10 inches.

The price is high but the jumbo 1/2 dozen is like having two dozen regular size.

Ran out on a flat bay - found Spot in 15 feet near Sandy Point. Current was just moving out and I cut one worm into 1/4 inch pieces. Fished two rods and had steady bite of Spot - few small Croaker and two small Perch. Using tiny bit of worm on #6 hook and allowing touch of slack so hooks lay on bottom helps avoid Perch.

Spot were 5 to 6 inchers but did get three nice 9 inchers. Took about 45 minutes to get 20 Spot - all on the one worm. With livewell loaded - ran north up off Podickery. Heard low oxygen reports but found scattered Rock near bottom in 32 feet. Trolling would be better but I only had Spot. Fishing alone - could only keep two so not concerned if it took a while.

Got anchored about 40 feet upcurrent of fish ( marked on GPS ). The GPS antenna is about 15 feet from stern - so fish should be about 25 feet away. Just right distance with fast current. Used a 2 oz on one rod - 1 oz on other - using bigger Spot. One oz got hit but Rock stole Spot. Two oz got hit later - let circle hook come tight and hoped for big fish but soon saw a greedy 23 incher. Unhooking fish - it flopped and sliced finger. Blood went everywhere - I'm guessing being so hot outside. What a mess - by time I got finger taped up - cockpit was a mess.

Current slowed and boat drifted west into 25 feet. Meter went barren so I turned engines to act as rudders. This helped as did a big boat running inside - the wake pushed boat out deeper. This helped and 1 oz weight rod got hit. About same size - in cooler it went. Ice was really melting fast - 8 lbs is normally OK for quick trip.

With limit iced down - ran back , stopping to let remaining Spot go where I caught them. Once at ramp about 1:30- heat really hit. Nice easy drive home - one good thing leaving Sandy Point before 3 pm.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Better keep an eye on that cut finger. Vibrio works quick.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

151 on day way!......... Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yup, Dip that finger in the 151 an be done. Thanks for the report

Capt. Ted

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice report Sailfish, always feel I learn something from your detailed writing.
    acg

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice work! We've been keeping a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and cotton balls on the boat for wounds that touch bay water. You must have been a little bummed with that ice melting so quickly. I know how you like to pack 'em in ice, but I'll bet the fish were still tasty.

9. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements