Fishing Report Hot fishing and cool diving 7 / 19

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Hot fishing and cool diving 7 / 19

Charter boat captain called me Weds afternoon about lost anchor near bay bridge on east side. The rode broke at splice as anchor was being hauled up. Big danforth with about 20 feet of chain piled on top it. I told him I could look for it on Friday. He gave me good tip on Rockfish .

Launched at Sandy Point at 6:10 am with TFer MikeBCFD , his niece Bailey and my friend Dean. Found Spot in 14 feet near Sandy Point - slow bite but steady. We counted out loud as Spot went into livewell. Few double headers and a lot of 4-6 inch Croakers. Took about an hour to get 30 Spot. While fishing we watched two container ships pass - odd to see that in the tight ( 700' ) channel.

The wakes really rocked the boat. With Spot in livewell , incoming current moving ( slack about 10:00 ) - we ran to check out the intell. Once at location - meter lit up and we set anchor. The Rock went nuts for Spot lowered slowly with 1 oz of lead to about 20 feet. No need to measure any of them - small one was about 23 - biggest about 31. Bailey had fun reeling them in - we all took turns netting and hooking fish.

Bite was really good and in about 20 minutes we had our limit of 8. Buried the fish in ice and went to look for anchor. Dropped a marker jug on the GPS numbers - then used sidescan to look for it. Not much on the bottom in 20 feet other than one small bright spot ( metal ). Current was slowing so called bridge police to notify a diver would be near bridge. Since 9 /11 rules got tight.

Nothing like putting on rubber wetsuit when it is sunny and 90*. Water was 86* on surface but would be cooler on bottom. Mike dropped spare anchor on a line - I would use this to go to bottom. Timed it just right - current was almost slack. Water felt great and soon was on bottom. Visibility was about 2 feet - good for the bay. Used a line to conduct a 360* search - letting a few feet out after each full circle.

Round and round - then felt steel. Anchor all right - but not one I was after. Small danforth - no chain and not snagged ???? I let line reel on bottom and swam anchor back to my pivot point. Followed line back and kept going.

Current began to move outgoing as air supply was getting low. Had about 65 feet of line out - 130 feet search area. Reeled myself back and brought up small anchor. Guys helped me in and Dean ran boat back while Mike helped me stow dive gear.

Got to ramp about 11:00 - divided up the catch and headed for nice AC ride in trucks.

Called charter captain - he is going to double check numbers - perhaps pinpoint it for me. Hopefully no one snagged it and brought it up on Thursday. Once home - had to smile , crew gave me the biggest fish.

They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Those are some pretty coolers!

Skip, What do you think the temperature difference is at 20'... 50'? Can you taste any more salt at depth?...... Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Gary - I only dove to about 18 feet today. I'm guessing about 4-5* difference from surface. Felt great in 3 mm suit.

I no longer taste bay water on purpose. The boat sides were not salty at all when I washed her down today.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

7. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements