Good Information Emergency anchor recovery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Emergency anchor recovery

Got call about 2:30 - charter boat captain had anchor snagged near Podickery Point. I told him to cut rode - puttiing marker jugs on it.

He asked if anyway I could dive right away - not wanting to risk losing the $$$ anchor , SS swivel and 30 feet of SS chain.

He called another captain who agreed to pick me up at Sandy Point. Got dive gear and drove to Sandy Point. Knew it was going to be tough - max current ( outgoing ) predicted about 3:30. More / less when we would get there.

My ride was waiting on me - put gear on board and headed north. One nice thing about big charters - the 2 foot whitecaps were nothing. I could gear up while running.

We soon arrived - to cheers ans applause from about 12 fishermen / ladies on the boat.

Got dropped off close and swam to rode. Discussed plan with captain of snagged anchor - explaining to give me 2 minutes - then let slack in line. Current was running fast - headed down rode as water got darker. Felt the chain and pulled myself slowly along. Chain was around a steel " box " used to hold cables. Waited for slack line - then pulled it free and followed rest of chain to anchor. It was on cable - freed it and put a 40 lb lift bag on it and inflated. Ummm , nope - did not lift anchor and heavy chain.

Went up slowly and told captain to power over anchor to pull it up. He did good job but waves pushed boat and anchor got hung again. The current carried me south about 1/8 mile - other boat swung in and threw me a line to tow me back. We were watching clouds carefully - ready to cut anchor / abort dive if needed to be safe.

Now here I am being towed at 2 knots - scene from Water World was going through my head.

https://youtu.be/lZQF83kf-a4

The crew on snagged anchor boat thought it was funny. Got back to the rode and explained to captain. Give me same 2 minutes to get to bottom - then give some slack. 30 seconds - try to lift. Keep repeating until anchor comes up with me on it. Got back to bottom and found chain under the box. Great - this was tricky to pull free. Waited for slack and pulled chain out but not free as tension came back. Felt " something " brush up against my leg - felt odd. Took me a minute to realize it was my lift bag - nothing alive. Pivoted and grabbed anchor - pulling chain from opposite direction. Slack came and had it free - tension started and I moved anchor so it was free and started to go up.

Held onto anchor but stayed to side - if something failed - this big chunk of steel and heavy chain would crush me into bottom.

Once anchor was up - pulled lift bag and saw anchor in the pulpit.

Got back to my dive boat and we headed back as seas were building. Lucked out to miss the storms. On run back - the mate handed me a cold beer - tasted so good. Great to see friends work together - one cool thing about fishermen , we all help each other out.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Great job on short notice. You deserve more than a cold beer. At least enough to get tanks refilled........ Gary

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice job Skip. Your "THE MAN" to save the day as usual.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice job Skip, I know you enjoy helping others and you have a lot of karma coming back your way for that reason.
    The world needs a lot more people like you that don't just think about themselves. My hat goes off to you.

Mike

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice Job Skip!! glad that you were able to recover that anchor before the rain and wind passed thru the area.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Worth at least a 30 pack🤔

What, NO 151 ?!

The nerve. Glad it worked out.

Wow! What a story! That was worth a few fifths of 151. Glad to hear that you were ok.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice work Skip, thanks for sharing the details. I was sucked into the story....nice little mental getaway from work! Hey, were you putting your boat in a Fairwinds over the weekend?

Bucktales - No , I do not use ramp there.

- - - Updated - - -

Bucktales - No , I do not use ramp there.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast