Fishing Report Specs in Tangier Sound

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Specs in Tangier Sound

Finally able to get back on the water after being released from PT after torn rotator cuff and torn bicep surgery in April. Given the temps I decided cool, incoming and morning were best bets. Headed out yesterday at predawn to Smith Island. Wanted to fish last of the incoming on the western side dropoffs. Normally I use a 13 1/2 foot spey rod but the shoulder just will not cooperate with the strength needed to cast and strip that puppy so I went to a 7 wt, 9 1/2 foot St Croix, overloaded with a wt fwd 9wt line. Started with red/white dace and after a few casts went to a classic Lefty's deceiver. Immediate hook up after two strips. Stayed until slack tide having caught three small specs. Strip, strip, pause was the pattern they wanted. Man was it hot, even in the early morning. Today the weather was terrible, rainy, overcast and windy so no dawn patrol today. My plan is to head out to my spec spots all week, weather permitting with hope that this colder air will cool the water to entice some bigger trout out to play. By the way for those of you who have not tried a spey rod, the difference between the conventional fly rod and the spey, aside from casting technique, is that the spey allows for quicker returns to the water so more chances at fish. Can't wait to heal enough to get back to the spey.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nicely done!! Please don't push the healing!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements