Question Novice angler fishing with my son

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Novice angler fishing with my son

I have no clue what I'm doing, but my 5 yr old loves fishing and I want to encourage his hobby. I took him fishing on vacation in FL and rented a rod, and he caught 4 fish. I purchased a kid's rod and some tackle, but need help with the basics. A thorough Google search did not help me figure out if I need to have a license if only my 5 yr old is fishing (I know he doesn't need one, but do I if I'm not using the rod?). Any other first-timer tips y'all can impart would be greatly appreciated! Or point me in the direction of an existing resource with the same information please :)

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Some states require a licensed fisherman with a child. Be careful, some of the kid's outfits are awful, better to spend the money to get good quality outfit.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Fishing lic is not much get one 😎

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I would get a decent rod and reel for him, nothing too expensive but nothing that costs $20 combo either (stay away from the kid's Zebco combos) because with the decent set up he can use it for a long time and less tangles on the line. Get some bottom rigs and small hooks and 1/2oz to 1oz sinker for spots and white perch. I think at that age they will enjoy fishing for those more because of the constant nibblings. Best way I think is to go to Anglers, Basspro or other tackle shop and ask them. You are very lucky that your son loves fishing, I have 2 teenage sons and they both want nothing to do with being on the boat or fishing and I fish every week. Good luck.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vietpimp999 View Post
    I would get a decent rod and reel for him, nothing too expensive but nothing that costs $20 combo either (stay away from the kid's Zebco combos) because with the decent set up he can use it for a long time and less tangles on the line. Get some bottom rigs and small hooks and 1/2oz to 1oz sinker for spots and white perch. I think at that age they will enjoy fishing for those more because of the constant nibblings. Best way I think is to go to Anglers, Basspro or other tackle shop and ask them. You are very lucky that your son loves fishing, I have 2 teenage sons and they both want nothing to do with being on the boat or fishing and I fish every week. Good luck.
    --------X2 on that. Good Luck!

Default Sources

Quote Originally Posted by livnkleen View Post
    I have no clue what I'm doing, but my 5 yr old loves fishing and I want to encourage his hobby. I took him fishing on vacation in FL and rented a rod, and he caught 4 fish. I purchased a kid's rod and some tackle, but need help with the basics. A thorough Google search did not help me figure out if I need to have a license if only my 5 yr old is fishing (I know he doesn't need one, but do I if I'm not using the rod?). Any other first-timer tips y'all can impart would be greatly appreciated! Or point me in the direction of an existing resource with the same information please :)
    You can attend Pasadena Sportfishermans free meeting Anyone there will help you Fishbones Tackle shop in Pasadena are great people and can set you up and tell you places to fish. Perch fishing is really turned on right now. Catching lots of fish keeps them interested. PM me and I can fill you in on some info. License is cheap and supports the sport. DNR Book you get with license loaded with info. Tons more on DNR website

9. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements