Fishing Report It's been a crappie year. 8-20-19

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Default It's been a crappie year. 8-20-19

It's been a crappie year. 8-20-19. You all know the story. I'm getting tired of writing it.8-20-19.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

At least you're consistent with catching fish.

Mike

I heard these are best tasting pan fish but I havent tried them yet, are they strictly to freshwater Andy ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vietpimp999 View Post
    I heard these are best tasting pan fish but I havent tried them yet, are they strictly to freshwater Andy ?
    You can catch them in rivers with tides. Brackish water like Marshy Hope Creek where I live, and most of our rivers. All ponds and lakes have them. Can't beat eating perch and crappie in Md. So they say. Thanks!

They are one of the best eating fish I have ever had. Right there with Flounder and Perch.

Great job Andy. You are the pan fish guru.

A question for you. Is Marshy hope considered fresh water? I don't have a FW license and want to go there. Just want to make sure I get one if needed.

Thanks. Reed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R&Jonthebay View Post
    They are one of the best eating fish I have ever had. Right there with Flounder and Perch.

Great job Andy. You are the pan fish guru.

A question for you. Is Marshy hope considered fresh water? I don't have a FW license and want to go there. Just want to make sure I get one if needed.

Thanks. Reed
    II think marshy Hope is brackish water, almost fresh. Yes you do need a fishing license. You need a fishing license to fish anywhere in Md. Is there a salt water license and a fresh water license ? If so you need the salt water license. Now I have a question. Dose a Md. fishing license cover salt and fresh water/ponds and lakes?
    Last edited by andypat; 08-24-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Yes, there is a license that covers both fresh and tidal. It appears that it is only offered to Seniors. I believe that you would qualify for this license.

"Resident Senior Consolidated Sport Fishing License $5

(65 years or older. License includes tidal, nontidal, and trout stamp. It may be purchased at any time in the calendar year in which you attain the age of 65)"

I have the Maryland Bay and Coastal Fishing License but not the fresh water license......and I'm not 65. If Marshy Hope has a tidal rise and fall then I would probably be covered. I just wanted to make sure because you are catching Crappie and Large Mouth Bass there. To the best of my knowledge, they are predominately fresh water fish. There may be a line of demarcation that considers that area to be fresh water. For example, the Potomac is considered tidal all the way up to Little Falls. Above that, it's considered fresh water. I believe that a fresh water license is required to fish above the falls and a Bay and Coastal to fish below.

Just looked up the regulation on the DNR site. Here's what I found.

"The following boundaries are designated as dividing lines for tidal and nontidal waters. These boundary lines identify whether a nontidal fishing license or Chesapeake Bay and Coastal Sport Fishing license is required. If you are fishing upstream of the location listed, nontidal fishing regulations apply. If you are fishing downstream of the location listed, tidal regulations apply."

It says that the line on Marshy hope creek is "•Marshyhope Creek—at its confluence with Faulkner Branch."

I don't know exactly where you fish. Hope this helps.

Obviously, I'll need to look at a map in order to determine which category the area I want to go to falls in.

10. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements