Question Larger Aluminum Tiller Boats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Larger Aluminum Tiller Boats?

I have been thinking about getting a new crabbing rig, but also want something to run around in the South River with. I would want to go out as far as the light house.....on a nicer day obviously.

I am looking for something as simple as possible and was thinking a 16-18ft aluminum V bottom boat with a 30-40hp tiller motor. I know there are guys in other areas that like them a lot. I don't know if it would be good in our area....specifically driving while sitting when there is usually wither wake or chop to contend with.

Anyone have experience with them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I know it will cost more but I recommend a side console on the boat you want. I run a sixteen ft. Aluminum v bottom Sea Nymph on the South River. With a tiller all of the weight is in the rear of the boat. Makes the bow ride high which in turn affects visibility. With a side console the weight is more evenly distributed. You get a better ride and viSibility is better. Of course the side console will be more expensive and the motor bill will be higher. But in the end I think you will be happier. I love aluminum boats. Their easy to repair, modify and take a lot of abuse. If I come into a ramp and the tide isn’t right and I can’t climb onto the pier I just park it on the ramp and get out.Bust up the bottom of a glass boat. Side consoles are really good for trot lining and retrieving crab traps. You can sit and dip or just reach over and pull a trap. Whichever way you go I think you will enjoy an aluminum boat. I would go with a forty hp motor. I have a 25 on mine and wish I had a 40. I had the motor before I bought the boat and it was like new. Imoreced a 749 Yamaha from Tri-State and it was $7,700.00 so I need that. I’ll just remain a slower boat.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I have a 16 sea nymph with a 25 2 stroke yamaha and it flys have a 12 volt battery under fron seat thatI cut a compartment for keeps bow down but wish i had side console for crabing alone

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input! good stuff

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by O sea D View Post
    I have a 16 sea nymph with a 25 2 stroke yamaha and it flys have a 12 volt battery under fron seat thatI cut a compartment for keeps bow down but wish i had side console for crabing alone
    Mine is actually a bass boat with lots of wood. Also mine is a 25hp four stroke which is considerably heavier then a two stroke and four strokes are slower then comparable two strokes. Mine does about 21 mph tops on a good day. This is with the best prop I can buy for speed. I think all of the wood in my boat is 3/4 inch plywood. Heavy. Sea Nymphs are built like tanks. Lowe bought them years ago.

I have a 2013 Lund Alaskan 1600, It's 16' 10"s in length and has an 82 " beam. It's a more heavily built boat with .100 thickness aluminum in the hull. It's powered by a 50HP Honda tiller motor. Very stable boat, when you step in it off the dock, there's no excessive rocking, and I'm about 240#s. I absolutely love this boat, perfect layout for me, flat floor fore and aft, livewell on one side , rod locker on the other, plus other storage places. It will run 30 MPH with me and the wife loaded for fishing. Tough to find used and at a good price. I drove to Maine to buy mine, it was about 16 months old at the time and still had plenty of warranty left on the hull and motor.

I have heard a lot of similar stories. Is yours carpeted? How does that work with messy stuff? Bleeding fish/chunking/crabbing

Thanks, that's a good data point.

Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    I have heard a lot of similar stories. Is yours carpeted? How does that work with messy stuff? Bleeding fish/chunking/crabbing
    All vinyl flooring in my boat.

I had been looking for an upgrade for my 14' crabbing boat for 2 years but never really found what I was looking for. I decided to get a new Tracker 16' deep v laker dtx. Bass Pro had 1 in stock with a 40hp Mercury tiller. I have been happy with the boat for what I like to do. I typically run all over the P-tap when the weather is right. I'd be more then happy to let you check it out one evening if you would like.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast