Tidal Fish Forum banner

Rockfish Declared Overfished - Need Your Input

Need some Help 
13K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  JRMako 
#1 ·
http://joinvssa.org/action-plan/rockfish/

ASMFC has determined Striped Bass are currently overfished and cuts are coming. We all have a say in how these cuts will be implemented. VSSA needs your responses to the poll below to effectively represent Virginia's angling community. A brief summary of the situation and a brief poll of the potential regulatory options is below. This poll closes on September 18, 2019. The ASMFC public comment period for Striped Bass is currently open. We encourage you to express your views of the potential options by taking the poll, attending the public meetings, writing letters directly to ASMFC, and reaching out to VSSA for other opportunities for involvement.

The full Public Information Document (PID) on the proposed addendum VI to the Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan can be found here: Striped Bass Addendum 1.

ASMFC is hosting a series of public comment sessions. The full listing is provided here. The closest for us in Virginia are:

Virginia Marine Resources Commission September 9, 2019 at 6:30 PM Virginia Marine Resources Commission 380 Fenwick Road, Fort Monroe Hampton, Virginia Contact: Alex Aspinwall or Pat Geer at 757.247.2200

Potomac River Fisheries Commission September 10, 2019, at 6 PM, 222 Taylor Street Colonial Beach, Virginia Contact: Martin Gary at 804.224.7148

VSSA will formally respond to ASMFC and wants to represent your views. The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission has a number of proposed management scenarios under consideration to reduce the overfishing of Striped Bass. Please take a moment to respond to these survey questions. There are essentially 4 questions with Sub Options to be answered. Questions 2 and 3 have multiple sub options. Questions 2 and 3 appear to be similar, but they are different to allow a different set of options to be considered for both the recreational and commercial sectors. Both questions should be answered. The questions are as follows. Please fill in the blank with your choice.

Please click here to select the options your feel are best.

http://joinvssa.org/action-plan/rockfish/

VSSA has been informed that VMRC will propose an emergency rule at the VMRC meeting on Tuesday, Aug 27, 2019 to eliminate the take of large rockfish effective for the fall season starting October 4, 2019. This will be discussed at the FMAC meeting Monday, Aug 26 at 6 pm. Unfortunately the FMAC conflicts with the menhaden town forum same date/time. If you have comments you can show up at the VMRC meeting (and/or FMAC) to express your concern. This is a big impact for fishing for trophy rockfish, for charters, and for tournaments but on the other hand our fish are in trouble and action sooner rather than later may be needed. VSSA does not have a position on this subject as we were just informed yesterday. There is a poll running on our Facebook page so please go there to voice your input. https://www.facebook.com/groups/IfishVA/

Virginia Saltwater Sportfishing Association (VSSA)
Virginia Saltwater Sportfishing Association Virginia Saltwater Sportfishing Association
https://www.facebook.com/groups/IfishVA/
ifishva@gmail.com

See less See more
#5 ·
I actually think it is more a cop out to blame the environmental factors which are much harder to control than the overfishing and won’t be addressed.

To blame overfishing offers a very simple, but hard to swallow solution and this is why we can’t find productive solutions.

If the freshwater is part of the problem why are the rockfish moving further north towards it in the bay? Why are there big rockfish stacked by the wall at times at Fort Belvoir half way up the Potomac with less than stellar water quality?

Is the water quality worse now than in 1985? I don’t think so, but could be wrong. The ban (no fishing or underfishing) seemed to do a pretty good job as I remember.

The current state of the population is one many of us have been commenting on for 10 years now and have watched a steady decline. To the point, that in 2017 the SSB biomass was declared below target thresholds and we are trying to fix the problem by catch and release mortality!!

WTF does that do to protect the breeders? NOTHING! see the problem??? That’s not water, or omega or anything else. It’s called overfishing.

If it was as simple as environmental factors in the bay, then the fish would just move to areas with better water and beyond the limits of Omega. Delaware, New jersey, New England.

Anybody see world class fisheries there? No. If I am not mistaken, New England states ate calling for major cuts or worse.

#7 ·
I actually think it is more a cop out to blame the environmental factors which are much harder to control than the overfishing and won't be addressed.

To blame overfishing offers a very simple, but hard to swallow solution and this is why we can't find productive solutions.

If the freshwater is part of the problem why are the rockfish moving further north towards it in the bay? Why are there big rockfish stacked by the wall at times at Fort Belvoir half way up the Potomac with less than stellar water quality?

Is the water quality worse now than in 1985? I don't think so, but could be wrong. The ban (no fishing or underfishing) seemed to do a pretty good job as I remember.

The current state of the population is one many of us have been commenting on for 10 years now and have watched a steady decline. To the point, that in 2017 the SSB biomass was declared below target thresholds and we are trying to fix the problem by catch and release mortality!!

WTF does that do to protect the breeders? NOTHING! see the problem??? That's not water, or omega or anything else. It's called overfishing.

If it was as simple as environmental factors in the bay, then the fish would just move to areas with better water and beyond the limits of Omega. Delaware, New jersey, New England.

Anybody see world class fisheries there? No. If I am not mistaken, New England states ate calling for major cuts or worse.
One of the few guys on this forum who accepts what is actually the issue. thank you!

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks but please don’t misunderstand what I said.

I do agree there are other issues at hand BUT the most direct cause is the lack of good regulation.

To say otherwise says says that even if we shut it down completely, forever, that the other issues would prevent a rebound and I can’t believe that.

#9 ·
Thanks but please don't misunderstand what I said.

I do agree there are other issues at hand BUT the most direct cause is the lack of good regulation.

To say otherwise says says that even if we shut it sown completely, forever, that the other issues would prevent a rebound and I can't believe that.
The environment isnt in the same shape it was 100 years ago for sure but it's no worse than the early 90s when they fully rebounded. They should rebound again with proper management.

#14 ·
No livelining, no planers, get back to actually fishing (instead of harvesting) for a couple of years, maybe go to one fish limit but that may not be necessary if we suck it up for a while!! Let's see how serious we are about a recovery!
If you want to "get back to".....Harvesting fish for food was the purpose of fishing since the dawn of time. Fishing for "sport" is a newer concept.

Chuck

- - - Updated - - -

Eat more pan fish. LOL!
Love it! :clapping2::hysterical:

#16 ·
If I am not mistaken, the commercial side only accounts for somewhere around 10% of the allocated quota. Not sure why that number is in my head, but that is what I seem to remember.

#27 ·
I did some research and it looks as though the commercial quota is 42.5 % of the maryland total.

This is based on the link below. Section at the top says updated July 3,2019

http://mdrules.elaws.us/comar/08.02.15.07

I can admit when I'm wrong and don't like spreading bad info if I can avoid it or correct it.

#40 · (Edited)
I hesitate to get involved in this discussion but.....

Under US state and federal laws, Federal, interstate (e.g. ASMFC) and state fisheries managers/regulators break out a "fishery" into commercial and rec sectors based on whether the fish caught are sold or processed for commercial sales. Some fish species/groups such as East coast non-swordfish billfish (marlin, spearfish and sailfish) do not have any commercial sector.

Charter boats are commercialized recreational fishing, and so are many fishing tournaments. Those activities create commercial pressure to harvest fish, and they create a lot of economic activity in many areas, but they are considered to be recreational fishing activities and are regulated under recreational fishing for gear, seasons, length and bag limits.

When those charter boats intentionally violate recreational fishing laws/regs they can be in violation of the Lacy Act because of the commerce aspect of the activity, which can be a felony-level crime if convicted.

Yes charter boats and fishing tournaments may place financial incentive on fish harvesting and that may raise conservation issues, such as for example the potential for kill tournaments to adversely affect a depleted stock (which is overfished and/or where overfishing is occuring).

Charters can get in big trouble for outlaw fishing, as some Virginia captains found out the hard way:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/virg...ndicted-lacey-act-violations-and-other-crimes

https://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/325121-Feds-indict-EEZ-rec-poachers-under-Lacey-Act!

#49 ·
Charters can get in big trouble for outlaw fishing, as some Virginia captains found out the hard way:
This isn't directed at you, Steve, but what you said here made me think of something I find interesting, and disappointing.
We all knew that mortality was a trigger we were flirting with, and that the implementation of the circles hooks was a way to help combat that.
It's also common knowledge that mortality numbers skyrocket in warm water.
We also know that the highly localized summer fishery has been in the Northern Bay for quite some time.

So, we have the fleet bailing floaters right in the DNR's back yard, and we hear an alarming number of reports of charters and recreational fishermen not using circle hooks.
Why have I not seen or heard about the NRP going from boat to boat at the BB checking hooks?

It may just be my perception, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
But it seems to me that we're getting smacked in the mouth up and down the coast for our summer fishery, which is currently taking place in a very small space a half hour from DNR headquarters, so why don't they park an NRP officer right in the thick of it to keep everybody honest?

Oh, and on the topic of honest fishermen;
There aren't many.
We love to rake the commercial sector over the coals, but the recreational sector absolutely takes more fish. By alot.
We also outnumber them by a very large number.
The commercial fisherman is morally no worse, or better, than the average person.
And when they fish, if they want to sell it, which is what they're there to do, they have to tag it.
For them to keep and sell untagged, illegal fish, they have to find and transport to an illegal market. Not easy.
You know what is easy? Very easy?
Recreational poaching.
Because we are very largely unchecked.

So, as I've said before, if you think that the recreational fishery isn't out of control (legal or illegal) and this doesn't fall in our laps, you've got your head in the sand.
And yet when the restrictions come, the commercial fisherman, their families and communities will also feel that hit.
I know this opinion isn't popular here, but as my Momma says, the truth shall piss you off and then set you free.

#50 ·
"So, we have the fleet bailing floaters right in the DNR's back yard, and we hear an alarming number of reports of charters and recreational fishermen not using circle hooks.
Why have I not seen or heard about the NRP going from boat to boat at the BB checking hooks?"
Good point Buckshot!!

#51 ·
Saw this on another site. Thought some might be interested.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: August 27, 2019

Virginia Marine Resources Commission
Email: Ellen.Bolen@mrc.virginia.gov
Phone: 757.788.9772

Virginia Marine Resources Commission takes emergency action to protect striped bass

~ Virginia proposes new measures to conserve and restore the dwindling striped bass population. ~

Fort Monroe-Today, the Virginia Marine Resources Commission voted unanimously (9-0) to enact emergency regulations for the striped bass fishery.
A recent scientific assessment shows the striped bass population has been below the sustainable threshold for the past six years and overfishing has been occurring since 2010.

"Poor management of striped bass over the past decade has caused significant economic harm to Virginians who depend on healthy fisheries for their livelihoods and has reduced opportunities for recreational anglers. I applaud the strong leadership shown today by the Marine Resources Commission and Commissioner Bowman on striped bass conservation and their commitment to restoring this iconic fishery." Said Secretary of Natural Resources Matthew J. Strickler, "We need other states to follow our example and help rebuild the striped bass population starting immediately. Delay is unacceptable and the Atlantic State Marine Fisheries Commission must take decisive action that will ensure restoration of this fishery up and down the coast."

"Virginia took the first action on striped bass in the spring and today's steps continue our commitment to restore this fishery to healthy levels. The recent stock assessment shows that immediate action is needed to slow the decline and restore this fishery to sustainable levels," Virginia Marine Resources Commissioner Steven G. Bowman said. "I am proud of the ongoing leadership by the Commission. Restoring this fishery to its full potential will require further actions for the commercial and recreational fisheries in the coming months."

"Again, we call on ASMFC and other states to take action now," Commissioner Bowman said. Delaying action will only make it harder to recover this fishery and Virginia anglers deserve more."

The emergency measures will establish a bag limit of one fish per angler per day, with a maximum size limit of 36 inches. The emergency measures also establish a maximum gill net size of 9 inches in the coastal fishery and 7 inches in the Chesapeake Bay fishery. These emergency measures will lower overall mortality of striped bass and protect the large breeding fish that are critical to the health and future of the population. The Commission will revisit these for final action at the September meeting, which will include an option for public comment.

#52 ·
After a slow start this season, I have finally started to catch quite a few fish in the shallows around the mouth of the pax river. The fish that I am catching are skinny, hardly any fight to them (with exception to the 12-16" class fish), and more often than not are covered in sores/lesions. Not a good sign at all...

I think that a ban on treble hooks could be implemented to reduce released fish mortality. I have been switching mine out for years, it makes a quick release, I don't see a difference in the amount of fish I catch (or lose) from making the switch, and it also improves personal safety as you only have to worry about 2 hooks per lure, and not 6 when you have a angry fish thrashing around :) I believe that released fish mortality is a huge part of the problem, and proper handling of them is key. A few friends of mine with DNR have been working on some this within their weekly fishing reports, discussing temperature related stress on fish, keeping fish in the water when releasing them, etc. Its a good start.

Here is an example of what i have been seeing far too often. I wound up catching these two on the same lure the other day, they both had lesions. I normally do not land stripers like this onto the deck of my boat fyi, I did it for the photo because of the lesions so I send it to my DNR friends. I released them both within 30 seconds of landing them, and it was a nice and cool evening so temperatures weren't an issue... Water Vertebrate Fin Fish Marine biology

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.