Good Information New Fall Rockfish Reg
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default New Fall Rockfish Reg

New fall rockfish regs out. Will cripple the tournaments this fall. Basically says one fish per person 20-36”. I would have preferred they kept the two fish per person 20-28” and a small boat limit but I am a LT guy. Either way this seems it was needed no matter the reason.

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/o...UC0OtokQFMd4n8

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default rockfish regs

Quote Originally Posted by SlateDog View Post
    New fall rockfish regs out. Will cripple the tournaments this fall. Basically says one fish per person 20-36”. I would have preferred they kept the two fish per person 20-28” and a small boat limit but I am a LT guy. Either way this seems it was needed no matter the reason.

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/o...UC0OtokQFMd4n8
    As long as people are allowed to court the politicians in congress this will happen because it is all about the almighty Dollar. I would love to know how much money omega puts in the politicians pocket every year, or which politicians pockets are they lining? Just my 2 cents worth. Instead of tackling the forage issue,keep blaming the fisherman. They will have to eventually ban striper fishing for a few years.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by college fund View Post
    As long as people are allowed to court the politicians in congress this will happen because it is all about the almighty Dollar. I would love to know how much money omega puts in the politicians pocket every year, or which politicians pockets are they lining? Just my 2 cents worth. Instead of tackling the forage issue,keep blaming the fisherman. They will have to eventually ban striper fishing for a few years.
    We all have a part in it.
    Moratorium is on the way.

My 2c

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyT View Post
    We all have a part in it.
    Moratorium is on the way.

My 2c
    I agree. I think we're incapable of getting it right due to a variety of factors, and the only way it gets better is for it to get worse, and then it gets closed for couple years. I'd much prefer swallowing that bitter medicine now, for a shorter time.

I'm not a scientist and I do my best to understand the factors at play. The recreational C&R mortality numbers are staggering. I primarily LT fish, and generally in the cooler months, with the exception of the late spring season. I rarely rarely release a fish where I think to myself--- yea, that is osprey or coon bait. From what I read, temperature has a TON to do with it, and as such, I have to assume those mortality rates are largely driven by Maryland where the season stays in during the hot months? And by those fishing with bait? I just don't buy that when I lip hook, release in under 30 seconds, revive when necessary and it swims away strong that a large percentage of those fish go on to die. Maybe I'm wrong. To that end, focusing the seasons in the cooler months, with a shorter fall and spring season would seem to have some effect.

Culling plays a role too, and I get that you hurt more fish trying to fill your limit with higher minimum size limits, but also, once I catch a limit, I'll stay out and fish till I get cold/hot/tired/sore anyway. That amount of churn can't be good.

All in all, the recent discussion has been cause for more self reflection than blaming of other factors. No matter the culprit, I'm not optimistic we'll get it straight.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Anyone who thinks the hook and line fisherman does damage to the species is only fooling themselves. It is the guys with the nets and those other guys in Reedville who do the real damage. They seem to get off scott free. Meanwhile the guy who wants to go out on the few good weekends between Thanksgiving and the new year pays the price.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by college fund View Post
    How many times have you seen schools of menhaden everywhere and stripers feeding frenzy then here comes the OMEGA boats and everything disappears! Why is that not common sense where the problem lies?

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

we added a poll question regarding the VMRC Emergency rule they sprung on us last week. Please take some time to vote on this new poll.

http://joinvssa.org/action-plan/rockfish/

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

As long as the commercial fishermen are allowed to (net) kill millions of pounds of fish in January February and March as the fish are coming into the bay and rivers to spawn we will never have a sustainable population of fish,
    YOu cant kill female fish before the spawn and expect the population to grow.
    Bottom Line the ASMFC and VMRC have their head up their butt and have too long catered to the commercial fishermen.
    I think everyone should boycott the purchase of striped bass in the stores, thus there will be no market and they won't kill these fish.

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements