Question Is everyone noticing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Is everyone noticing?

Has everyone noticed that damn near every photo of caught rockfish displays skinny fish? I started noticing several weeks ago. They all seem to have empty stomachs. Leads me to believe there isnít enough forage fish, menhaden, out there. Of course we all know the reason for this. Getting Virginia to act on this is worse then getting Md.ís DNR to act on important issues. Omega catch has to be reduced. Period.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bebopper View Post
    Has everyone noticed that damn near every photo of caught rockfish displays skinny fish? I started noticing several weeks ago. They all seem to have empty stomachs. Leads me to believe there isnít enough forage fish, menhaden, out there. Of course we all know the reason for this. Getting Virginia to act on this is worse then getting Md.ís DNR to act on important issues. Omega catch has to be reduced. Period.
    Definitely skinny around the bridge- fatter fish seem to be in the rivers. Been noticing less bunker for the last couple years but tons in the ocean. Have you ever seen these ships down in the lower bay? Huge harvests, Itís gotta have some effects.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

No shortage of bait where I fish.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Plenty bait were i fish🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟

Seems to be enough bait balls around but what I pulled from south of the bridge this weekend were very skinny. Me thinks you are on to something!!

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If its not from lack of food, these skinny fish might be sick from something else. Could be ulcerative dermatitis or mycobacteriosis. These diseases come from poor water conditions......... Gary

I have witnessed the same skinny rock fish around the bridge. Took one gut hooked 22" home and the filet was laughable. No lesions or wounds to report

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

It's not lack of forage. The rockfish may have a wasting disease (unfortunately all too common in the Bay), or they may also be stressed by the combo of warm water and low D.O.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Plenty of bait north and south of the bridge yesterday. Just my $.02 I’m seeing more healthy rock than skinny sick ones

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 24Albemarle View Post
    Plenty of bait north and south of the bridge yesterday. Just my $.02 Iím seeing more healthy rock than skinny sick ones
    I see tons of glass minnows and scattered pods of bunker here and there. But not those huge masses of bunker that look like rolling oil slicks, the ones you can smell from a distance. Maybe I need to get out more then once a week.
    I guess the only way to tell if the skinny fish are truly diseased is to have them tested. I have caught thin ones that had no sores but Iím not sure if that is a definitive way to say they are clean

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast