Fishing Report Something differant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Something differant

A friend of mine has been out fishing twice this week. On both trips he caught several Rock, a couple of Blues, two or three Mackerel and a Lizardfish. In fact, he caught two Lizardfish on each of the trips. They were caught while trolling small spoons for the above mentioned fish. They were all near clumps of floating grass in the mouth of the Little Choptank. Two of them were in the 8" range and the other two were about 12".

I have never even heard of them let alone seen one and neither has my friend. After a quick Google, we were able to identify the strange fish as a Lizardfish.

Has anyone else ever seen or caught one in the bay? Here's a few pictures.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have never caught one but have seen several posts on Facebook of these catches. It seems the entire fishery is moving North. The low salinity in the Spring has brought many new species to the Bay also....... Gary

Quote Originally Posted by R&Jonthebay View Post
    A friend of mine has been out fishing twice this week. On both trips he caught several Rock, a couple of Blues, two or three Mackerel and a Lizardfish. In fact, he caught two Lizardfish on each of the trips. They were caught while trolling small spoons for the above mentioned fish. They were all near clumps of floating grass in the mouth of the Little Choptank. Two of them were in the 8" range and the other two were about 12".

I have never even heard of them let alone seen one and neither has my friend. After a quick Google, we were able to identify the strange fish as a Lizardfish.

Has anyone else ever seen or caught one in the bay? Here's a few pictures.

I have caught a couple of them years ago trolling the Chesapeake Beach area with spoons. I was surprised at catching with a lure just about as big as they were...Joe.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yes catch them all the time in the Middle Peninsula / Gwynns Island area. They eat everything voraciously.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Years ago we would drift minnows off Mattapeake for Flounder. Often got 1-2 Lizard fish each trip. They have huge mouth compared to body - 6 incher would eat a 3 inch minnow.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

caught one two years ago behind oregon inlet fishing center dragging a gulp swimming mullet behind my kayak. Caught one last year from a boat casting gotcha plugs near the surf off cape look out NC. Folks on this board helped me I.D. the first one. The only two I've ever seen.

Blog Entries

Caught 3 in the honga on gulp baits last week . And friend an i both saw a pompono . Jump out of water after bait fish. So help me God

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by O sea D View Post
    Caught 3 in the honga on gulp baits last week . And friend an i both saw a pompono . Jump out of water after bait fish. So help me God
    https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2019/0...orida-pompano/

New state record category was created for Pompano in MD this year.

There is abundant science demonstrating that many species are expanding their ranges northward with changing environmental conditions.

Lots of southern and pelagic species in the Bay this year, its the new normal--triple tail in a crabpot in South River, lots of Spanish, some cobia, cutlass fish, lizardfish, etc. Even tarpon and bonefish may become more regular visitors. Bring it on!

Quite Cool Looking

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Good stuff! I'd like to check that box sometime. reminds me of the needlefish that we catch in the bay during the summer. What's kind of cool is, I caught a couple needlefish light tackle jigging a 5" opening night BKD with a 1/2 oz red head on Tobacco Caye in belize this past spring. Needlefish are nasty critters, and I would imagine that the lizardfish are as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast