Fishing Report Mack attack - Weds - Thomas Point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Mack attack - Weds - Thomas Point

Left Sandy Point at 9 am with fellow Tfer Rhahn427 ( Rick ) and my friend Leroy. Idea was to go after Spanish Mackerel. Have not been out for 19 days - due to too much work.

Tide was very high - almost up to the boards on the piers. Knew we would have a long and strong outgoing current - good as wind was from north.

Ran south to mouth of Severn and put over a four rod spread in 25 feet - two #1 planers at 80 and 100 feet and two # 2 at 50 and 60 feet. Speed was 6 knots . Worked slowly south and saw birds diving - trolled edge and got a hit. Leroy reeled in his first Mack - about 16 inches. Md rules are min. 14 inches with 15 fish per angler.

We circled a general two mile area - working in as shallow as 18 feet where the # 2 planers would tick bottom and out to about 35 feet. Easy to cover ground at 6 knots. The # 2 at 60 feet was hot - Clark spoon about 3 inches long with green tape. The Macks were spitting up little 1 inch minnows but liked the larger spoon.

Rick got one about 22 inches - we had a steady but slow bite. One tiny 7 inch Blue was caught - with 3-4 small 14 inch Rock.

Had a close call with charter boat pulling planer boards - white riding low with no flags. None of us saw them until very close - luckily with four down planers I could turn hard. Called the boat on VHF # 16 - switched to 68 - I apologized for getting too close but explain the boards were tough to see and unexpected this time of year.

We stayed away from that boat and had area mostly to ourselves. Wind picked up but only a few whitecaps - then laid back down. Birds stopped diving - just about to go south but got few more so stayed in same area. Got one 20 inch Rock - nice bonus catch. The # 2's out caught the # 1's but #1 seemed to get better Macks. Our best was 27 - really nice fish.

Lost one spoon when a black swivel got hit. I run 15 feet of heavy 50 lb mono from planer to Sampo black ball bearing swivel - then 10 feet of 20 or 30 mono to spoon. Mack hit the swivel - cutting the lighter mono.

We did have some nicks in the lighter leaders near spoons - easy enough to check after each fish and cut back. Tried different colors - gold got a few but silver with green tape was best.

Trolled up to bridge about 1:30 and pulled lines with 13 Macks in cooler and 4 or 5 lost reeling in.

Went north of bridge and caught about 15 Spot - then live line at bridge.

Leroy dropped the - I have to be back - bomb on Rick and I , hate that when fishing. We ended up catching Rock bt all were 18 to 18 1/2. Circle hooks did well - all released. Ran back in and Leroy took his share of fish and had to go.

Hope to get back out again before the water cools and Macks head south.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Skip,

Nice reports as always.

Thanks, Mike

That's a nice mess of fish! We were trolling for Macs near Tolly's on Saturday and a charter had white planers out that i saw at the last minute......... Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've been catching some nice macks down here off the Little Chop. Green flash has definitely been the color of choice for them.

I have a question about measuring them. Do you measure to the end of the tail or the inside of the "V" at the body?

I have been doing mostly catch and release but have kept a couple of the larger ones that were in the twenty in range, so I know they were legal.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Man... that is awesome! I gotta learn how to troll. Great report skip!

R & J - From DNR - Size limits are generally based on the total length of a fish. The total length of a fish is the maximum length with the mouth closed and the tail pinched together measured from the snout to the tip of the tail. The best way to obtain this straight line measurement is to push the fish’s snout against a vertical surface with the mouth closed and with the fish lying along a tape measure and then pinch the tail fin closed to determine the total length.

FWIW: I measure with tail open - sorta as fish would be swimming. Leaves little room for error.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!

I was just going to post when I saw this post. What can I say ..... beautiful weather, great company and Really nice fish ...... can you ask for more? The crazy thing is that Skip makes it look sooooooooooooooo easy. Oh and Leroy got a citation Mack ........ I think it was 25”. We had some that were 22 - 23”.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Temps are forecast to remain above average at least through the first few days of October. No major precip events forecast, either. Bad news for our trees, but good news for Mac fishing. We usually have at least one strong cool front to send them packing right about now; it'll be interesting to see how long they stick around the Annapolis-area in high numbers. It could be awhile!

I know that Red Drum are big news in the lower and mid-Bay. With this weather pattern, we'll see if targetable numbers of them move up the Bay a bit more. Same with Specs and larger Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sailfish View Post
    R & J - From DNR - Size limits are generally based on the total length of a fish. The total length of a fish is the maximum length with the mouth closed and the tail pinched together measured from the snout to the tip of the tail. The best way to obtain this straight line measurement is to push the fish’s snout against a vertical surface with the mouth closed and with the fish lying along a tape measure and then pinch the tail fin closed to determine the total length.

FWIW: I measure with tail open - sorta as fish would be swimming. Leaves little room for error.
    An interesting aspect of this year's Mac run is the variety of sizes. We typically get larger Macs, but this year fish 18" and smaller are also common. Before this year, I'd never caught a Mac in the Bay under 20".

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Skip, Do you ever bleed your mackeral?

Thanks, Mike

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast