Question MD boat registration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default MD boat registration

If you have already paid boat sales tax in the state you titled your boat, do you pay tax again if you choose to register it in MD?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yes I think you do, unfortunately.

DNR has a lot of info on boat registration on its website.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/Pag...istration.aspx

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My boat was registered in PA when I bought it and I registered it in MD. Had to pay tax. It doesn't matter whether I had it registered in PA or someone else, stiil pay MD. Boat tax to MD DNR and trailer tax to MD MVA. ... ..... Gary
    Last edited by crabby and son; 09-20-2019 at 08:37 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

How much tax you pay in MD depends on what state you're bringing the boat from, how much tax you paid in that state and how long ago.
    I'd recommend a call to the DNR to ask them to sort it out.
    I go through the Centerville office (410-819-4100) and their staff has always been terrific.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I think it is like auto. You pay full tax unless you provide record of sales tax you paid in another state, in which case you pay the balance of MD tax. In a lot of cases the tax rate is the same or higher in the other state and therefore you should not have to pay any MD tax.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by srg158 View Post
    I think it is like auto. You pay full tax unless you provide record of sales tax you paid in another state, in which case you pay the balance of MD tax. In a lot of cases the tax rate is the same or higher in the other state and therefore you should not have to pay any MD tax.
    I experienced this when I registered my PA titled boat in NY. PA tax was 6% and NY was 8%. Had to pay the 2% difference.

Blog Entries

I bought a boat from a Pa. dealer last year.The Md. DNR charged me 5% tax when I titled it Then they told me the Pa. dealer should not have charged me tax because they new I was from Md. and I would title it there. They should have Md. forms for this the Md. DNR told me. I called the Pa. dealer and was reimbursed the 6% tax from the Pa. dealer. In Maryland, boat tax is called an excise tax.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Y certainly ollie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by O sea D View Post
    Y certainly ollie
    Call the DNR and ask them Stanley.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    I bought a boat from a Pa. dealer last year.The Md. DNR charged me 5% tax when I titled it Then they told me the Pa. dealer should not have charged me tax because they new I was from Md. and I would title it there. They should have Md. forms for this the Md. DNR told me. I called the Pa. dealer and was reimbursed the 6% tax from the Pa. dealer. In Maryland, boat tax is called an excise tax.
    I did a stupid thing a couple of years ago. I bought my boat in MD, but (insert stupid here) decided I should title and register my boat in PA (I live just across border in PA). At the time I was keeping on a trailer and didn't really know what water I planned to use most frequently (options were really Flats or DE bay/river). I paid PA tax of course. Once I put my boat in slip in MD water all the time I realized I should go back to MD for title. I went to the DMV down by Bel Air or somewhere around there. Amazingly, they were really helpful and actually quite pleasant. They already had the boat in their system and I basically reinstated the last registration. I am pretty certain I did not have to pay MD tax, but would have to confirm by looking at the paper. It was a private sale. So it was good I had all the paperwork, including the contract of sale and PA documentation.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast