Fishing Report Friday 13th bad luck - one week late

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Friday 13th bad luck - one week late

Left Sandy Point at 7:30 am this morning with my friend Dean and his brother Kevin. Idea was to troll up some Mackerel - catch Spot and live line for Rock. Nice calm sunny morning.

Ran south to the Severn and put over 4 rods - two #1 planers at 90 and 120 - two # 2 at 50 and 60 feet. Saw 8-9 boats in general area some trolling - some LTJ around diving birds. # 1 planer tripped but no fish - bummer. # 2 tripped - same thing - odd. Soon happened a 3rd time - WTF ?

4th time we reeled in to find Spanish had cut leader at black swivel - damn. Finally got one to stay hooked - Kevin reeled in a 18 incher. We circled and #2 planer got hit but instead of rod tip coming it - it bowed over and line was moving off reel. Slowed from 6 knots to about 3 - fish still pulling line. It was not snagged - we could see rod tip moving and line was not going out the same speed of boat - plus the fish moved about 90* across stern. Line was getting low when whatever it was came loose.

Kevin reeled in and we saw lure was gone - 30 lb leader or knot broke. No idea what it was - perhaps a Ray or Red Drum - even Cobia. Not likely a Rock as I have caught 35 inchers on this outfit with down planers before. Put new spoon on and checked other rods - found another spoon bite off at swivel. Shit. Going to rig a short piece of wire on either side for next trip.

We moved out to 30 feet and had close encounter with charter boat - we both trolled towards birds but they had planer boards out. No flags and barely visible - had to speed up to avoid them catching my lines.

Had a hit on a #1 - reeled in a piece of trash bag. Soon got a small Blue that crossed over and tangled up two rods - F&^K. Got rods back over and somehow a #1 got into a #2. I've trolled this spread for years - never had tangles like today. While slowing down - got a 22 inch Rock.

Took one # 1 out of spread - three rods and all was good. Stayed near mouth of Severn - and noticed a boat running towards us as we trolled south close to Tolly Point. We had been on this heading for about 10 minutes - GPS trail showing nice straight line. We watched as the 30 ish footer was closing in - Dean and Kevin waving their arms as I held down horn and prepared to gun engine and turn hard.

The boat - Devil Heels - finally slowed about 75 feet from our starboard stern - idled by - then got back up on plane. I'm convinced they did not see us - no reason to run that close to another boat.

I was shaking my head at weird luck - guess Friday 13th got me a week late. We got bite off again at swivel - but managed to put couple more Macks on ice. I had creviche in cooler - made with Macs caught Wednesday - I thought fish were biting off leaders as payback for eating their family. Got a 14 inch Bluefish - nice surprise.

We trolled north along the 30 foot line - staying east of a sailboat race. Picked up a couple more Macs and then pulled lines south of bridge. South breeze had picked up as we set anchor in 17 feet to get Spot. Had slow but steady bite - took about 30 minutes to get 25. Tried the bridge on west side - but out going current against south south east wind made it tough.

Took gamble and ran to east side - as wind shifted due south , we lost the lee on east side. Set up on some fish but they made fools of us by pulling Spot off hook. Dean finally stuck one - nice 31 incher. Hook came loose as Kevin netted it - I was hoping our bad luck was done.

Next fish was giving Dean trouble - pulling line off reel. Had to hold line but fish got away. We saw the drag was tight - braid was slipping on spool - mother F*^Ker. Tough way to lose what seemed to be a real nice summer Rock about 34. Dean had the touch - got another nice keeper. We put one more about 29 in box - three overs , not bad - considering everything.

It was about 3:30 so we called it a day. Idled slow and let the braid off the one reel - retying the arbor knot with few new feet of mono backing. Wound it back on nice and tight for next trip. Ran back at an easy 27 knots - head on a swivel after all the mishaps of the day.

Saw a barrel - 55 gallon drum 3/4 submerged - luckily dodging it by about 100 feet. Made it to dock and saw tide was very low - was extra careful near the slimy water line. Put boat on trailer and divided up the catch. Kevin was heading to Anglers for citation - he had a 24 inch Mack.

Ride home was not bad - I was still on edge it being Friday 13th a week late.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Skip,

We had 3 bite offs at the swivel today. I havent had one prior to today.

Mike

Blog Entries

Aside from blues, the worst fish to snip a line for me has been king mackerel off OC while tuna chunking when they come through early in the season. All you would see was a light flicker of the rod and with that they would slice 50# like it was cut with a straight razor . They don't taste as good as Spanish either . Hope to see some 30" + stripes up the bay soon in shallow water.Bad days go with the game. You did good.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Skip-just curiosity but why the heavier line from planner to swivel and lighter line from swivel to spoon? I set mine up the other way around. As for the planner tangles-I run 4 planner from June-September most years and undoubtedly have one day out of no where where I have fish cause tangles, me cause tangles. It just happens. If you don’t mind please post a picture of how you rig the wire to the swivel to avoid bite offs. As always your reports and answers are greatly appreciated.

24 - I like the heavier leader from planer to mid swivel because it is easier on hands , tends not to tangle , and if the lure snags - hopefully the lighter piece breaks thus saving the planer and mid leader BB ( $$$ ) swivel.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Best Quote:::

I thought fish were biting off leaders as payback for eating their family.

Love it!!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Wanted to add to this, as I recently added small steel leader before and after my planers and before my spoon. Those rods haven’t got much action. All action coming off the mono. The leaders are black, switching to regulars and seeing if there’s a difference. Maybe they’re seeing the leader.

10. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements