Good Information Lessons I have learned about superglue (=CA = CyanoAcrylate)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Lessons I have learned about superglue (=CA = CyanoAcrylate)

1) Do not get CA on the lenses of your regular eyeglasses. It is hard to see through.

2) Heat is the most recommended way to remove CA. The temperature needed to soften CA is higher than the temperature needed to soften & melt plastics used in eyeglass earpieces.

3) Acetone is a powerful solvent that can soften CA. It can also soften UV coatings used on eyeglass lenses.

4) Most commercial products sold as CA Solvent & Removal are essentially expensive acetone

5) There are a few CA solvent products that do not contain acetone. Some of them use nitromethane (or similar nitroalkane solvents). One such product, Golden West's US-1 Super Solvent (made by Satellite City Instant Glues) removes CA glue from eyeglass lenses very well.

6) Super Solvent does not repair damaged UV coatings on eyeglass lenses.

Conclusion: I will use Super Solvent if I ever get CA glue on my brand new glasses. My $9, 2 oz bottle may well be a lifetime supply, and I use CA glue often for fishing and woodworking.
    Last edited by Abter1; 09-21-2019 at 05:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have never been impressed with super glue. I have met the man who invented super glue and his name is Hugh Stock. He has a 65' Hatteras in St Michaels. I alwas use epoxy....... Gary

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Any time I try to use super glue I make a big mess. Sometimes it actually fastens the broken pieces I am trying to adhere. When it does it works well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The only thing I use it for is gluing my plastics to the jighead. I usually Glue myself in the process.

Could be worse:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fub8xcnStH4

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I switched over to the Gorilla Glue gel. Much more control in application and doesn’t melt some plastic lures like Super Glue.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by done workin View Post
    I switched over to the Gorilla Glue gel. Much more control in application and doesn’t melt some plastic lures like Super Glue.

Chris
    Gorilla glue is good but takes a while to dry and it does expand when it dries.

attaching plastics to jigheads is about the only thing I use CA for related to fishing. Woodworking, however, is a different story. CA sold to woodworkers (and for other type of crafts) comes in 4 or 5 thicknesses, spray cans of accelerators (when regular super glue dries to slowly!), solvents, colored glues, empty bottles with all sorts of tips, etc. There are several leading brands, and relatively fierce competition. The thing I use it for the most surprised me when I first heard of it: as a finish for small wood projects. CA is a widely used finish for small lathe projects such as pens, wine bottle stoppers, etc. Applying multiple I also use it for gluing metal parts to wood (e.g. such as putting a ferrule on a tool handle, metal tubes in holes drilled through wood), filling small cracks, attaching 2 pieces of wood together that I will later separate (CA isn't especially strong to sheer stress), attaching inlays such as fine marble chips, etc.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

There is a product I learned about 13 yrs. ago when I moved to Palm Beach, it is called Zap a Gap. Most of the professional captains and Tournament fishermen love this stuff. It is super glue on steroids. I use it on many knots for Pelagic fish, I like the green label better than the pink.

CA glue is sold under a lot of brand names, but they are not all identical. All have CyanoAcrylate as the main ingredient, with different brandsadding some secret sauce ingredients to each particular type they sell. I am not very familiar with Zap-A-Gap, nor the whole array of ZAP CA glues. Browsing through some of the the ZAP's catalogue and the MSDS sheets for their various products, I get a very familiar feel...much like the other full product line CA companies I've used (mainly TiteBond, Satellite City, and StickFast). Different thicknesses, colors, applicator tips and most importantly MARKETING PACKAGES !! How different do you think the "ZAP CA+ glue for Fly Fishing" is compared with "ZAP CA +", or the "ZAP Gel for Fly Fishing" is from Zap Gel" ?

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

A decade ago I asked my dermatologist what she would recommend for skin cracks around my finger nails during the cold, dry winters. To my surprise, she told me to put a drop of superglue in the crack and push it closed. That allows the crack to heal without flexing. It works.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast