Good Information Crabs are hungry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Default Crabs are hungry

Comm's......... send in your September report.

Friday I went to a mid bay western shore river and drowned 2400 feet of year old fowl necks so I wouldn't have to keep them in the freezer again this winter. I was rewarded with 4 baskets of large, hungry, mostly heavy males with a few sooks thrown in the mix. Bonus was one good sized female softie that I'll have for lunch soon.

Had some very good friends over Friday evening for a mini feast and they raved about the taste of the crabs. Later this afternoon I'm catering a feast for my sister, niece and their families and friends in Elkton, MD. I've been promising them I'd give them a special treat for way too long so, now I get to fulfill my promise.

Can't say there were crabs on every bait, but I laid out two 1200' lines and managed to get anywhere from 11 to 19 keepers on every run. There weren't many crabbers on the water near me. Maybe the 10 to 15 MPH wind reported kept them home. Seems like it was blowing 25 easily at times once 9:00 o"clock rolled around. No sense in taking a beating, so I quit around 10:30 with more crabs than I really needed.

Life is good!
    Large heavy crabs make it gooder!

Go get yours while they too hungry to let go of the baits.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Western shore crabs, at least mine, have been some of the best I’ve seen in a long time. Didn’t crab this past friday and will have to see what this coming holds.

Columbus day weekend has typically been some of my best for the areas north of the bridge.

This cooler weather will have things changing quickly and not sure if I have another trip or not.

Chris

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You two are the only two I know crushing the crabs, every other commercial trotliner I know has hung it up or is buying them from potters. Keep up the hard work

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Crabbermanjl's Avatar

nice job- we did ok to

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...... IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice Job Stranger! Nice to see a report from Ya' Jerry! Been hangin' down r.j.'s as much as I can.

Jim, that was a nice haul the grandkids ended up with.
    Big smiles!

Mike, That's a nice hangout except for the skeeters. Easy living down there and the fishin' ain't too bad neither.
    You 'bout ready for retirement?

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Crabbermanjl's Avatar

Yes it was they did good for the first time-a lot of misses but that's ok, they'll get better for sure

7:36-9:15 NOT BAD!
    Attached Images Attached Images

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...... IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yep, wind was 12 to 20 on the West river Tuesday, we got a bushel and a third in about 3 hours, one female, and maybe 5 crabs under 6", only saw one other boat.

Did it again today.
    Same place, same results.
    Big, heavy, hungry crabs.
    Less wind, more Sun, more crabbers, fewer sooks.
    Bait (fowl necks) looks like I can use it again.
    That would be the third time for some of it.
    Fresh is best. I'll likely toss the real old stuff.
    Most larger males were in 10' to 12' depths.
    7' & 8' showed hardly any crabs. Water temp dropped 7* in 6 days.
    Talked with two pairs of rec crabbers at the ramp. Both boats limited out with 2 baskets each in just over 3 hours of dipping.
    Doesn't take a huge # to fill a basket when most males are larger than 6.5".
    If you're not crabbing NOW, you're missing some of the best catching the bay has to offer.
    Might try a close, local river next time just to see what's there or not. But then, why waste my time when farther away is almost a sure thing....while it lasts.

Listen!....... Did you hear that? Crabs are calling. Go get 'em!

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

That’s awesome!!

When we were eating last time I was commenting on how spoiled I’ve gotten looking at 6” crabs and thinking they’re small.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast