Good Information Crabs are hungry - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Crabbermanjl's Avatar

Nice job Jerry!!- I agree-Gonna give it another run too...

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...... IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by POLECAT View Post
    Jim, that was a nice haul the grandkids ended up with.
    Big smiles!

Mike, That's a nice hangout except for the skeeters. Easy living down there and the fishin' ain't too bad neither.
    You 'bout ready for retirement?
    I could use some large Donations at this point so I can Retire! LOL. As for the Skeeters.....I'd be happy for them to eat on Me,Better than where I'm at !!

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by POLECAT View Post
    Did it again today.
    Same place, same results.
    Big, heavy, hungry crabs.
    Less wind, more Sun, more crabbers, fewer sooks.
    Bait (fowl necks) looks like I can use it again.
    That would be the third time for some of it.
    Fresh is best. I'll likely toss the real old stuff.
    Most larger males were in 10' to 12' depths.
    7' & 8' showed hardly any crabs. Water temp dropped 7* in 6 days.
    Talked with two pairs of rec crabbers at the ramp. Both boats limited out with 2 baskets each in just over 3 hours of dipping.
    Doesn't take a huge # to fill a basket when most males are larger than 6.5".
    If you're not crabbing NOW, you're missing some of the best catching the bay has to offer.
    Might try a close, local river next time just to see what's there or not. But then, why waste my time when farther away is almost a sure thing....while it lasts.

Listen!....... Did you hear that? Crabs are calling. Go get 'em!
    I was out a couple of weeks ago taking advantage of the easy pickins' and am heading out this weekend again. I'm undecided on whether to go back to the crab alley area or heading south down towards the Shady Side area. Either way, hopefully I haven't missed them!

Hope that you're doing well!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Crabbermanjl's Avatar

same here I'm hoping for a last trip tomorrow-fingers crossed!

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...... IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

They were waiting for me again yesterday morning. Hungry as ever and willing to devour old bait, some of which was used twice before, but still looked appealing to their appetite. I did have one 600 foot segment with fresh bait attached to an additional 1200 foot segment of used baited line. On every run of that line there were always more keeper crabs counted on the fresh 600' segment than on the remaining 1200' portion. Just proves "FRESH is BEST" !

Water was smooth as glass. Wind was non existent. Tide was unusually high. Current was strong and continuous all morning except during the change of tides which did not last too long. Very few crabbers along the entire river. Plenty of parking places on the small lot. Uncrowded ramp. Eager and willing crabs. Plenty, and I do mean plenty, of undersized crabs for next year's season. Very few boats causing wakes. Nothing to complain about except maybe the long drive (98 miles each way). The boat had three crew members who were me, myself & I to haul 5 bushels of delicious crabs to their last supper.
    Why some guys put their rigs in mothballs around Labor day is puzzling to this crabber /fisherman. The best of the best crabbing days are here NOW!

Enough of that...... Crabs, in the river system I was on, were comfortable in 10' to 14.5' depths. Rarely was there a crab in 15' and absolutely none in 16'. I did not have line any deeper. Reports I received from other crabbers reflected the same observations. Water temp was 64* F and relatively clear. Bait used was fowl necks. Crabbing's been some of the most enjoyment I've had, with my clothes on, this October. Can't wait to see how November pans out. The Wx is mild enough for this fun to continue for a couple weeks me thinks.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My crabbing has switched to deer and Blue Cat focus but no doubt this is the best time of the year.

I am praying for continued progressively colder weather to give them time to move deep slowly. Combine that with hopes for a mildish winter with no extreme freezes and next year could be off the charts.

Even though it took a while to get moving up north due to fresh water, southern waters were hot!!

Here’s to what ended up being a very good season and hopes to a better one next year👍.

8. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12