Tidal Fish Forum banner

Crabs are hungry

Good Information 
6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  done workin 
#1 ·
Comm's......... send in your September report.

Friday I went to a mid bay western shore river and drowned 2400 feet of year old fowl necks so I wouldn't have to keep them in the freezer again this winter. I was rewarded with 4 baskets of large, hungry, mostly heavy males with a few sooks thrown in the mix. Bonus was one good sized female softie that I'll have for lunch soon.

Had some very good friends over Friday evening for a mini feast and they raved about the taste of the crabs. Later this afternoon I'm catering a feast for my sister, niece and their families and friends in Elkton, MD. I've been promising them I'd give them a special treat for way too long so, now I get to fulfill my promise.

Can't say there were crabs on every bait, but I laid out two 1200' lines and managed to get anywhere from 11 to 19 keepers on every run. There weren't many crabbers on the water near me. Maybe the 10 to 15 MPH wind reported kept them home. Seems like it was blowing 25 easily at times once 9:00 o"clock rolled around. No sense in taking a beating, so I quit around 10:30 with more crabs than I really needed.

Life is good!
Large heavy crabs make it gooder!

Go get yours while they too hungry to let go of the baits.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nothing wrong with that at all.

Western shore crabs, at least mine, have been some of the best I’ve seen in a long time. Didn’t crab this past friday and will have to see what this coming holds.

Columbus day weekend has typically been some of my best for the areas north of the bridge.

This cooler weather will have things changing quickly and not sure if I have another trip or not.

Chris

#9 ·
Did it again today.
Same place, same results.
Big, heavy, hungry crabs.
Less wind, more Sun, more crabbers, fewer sooks.
Bait (fowl necks) looks like I can use it again.
That would be the third time for some of it.
Fresh is best. I'll likely toss the real old stuff.
Most larger males were in 10' to 12' depths.
7' & 8' showed hardly any crabs. Water temp dropped 7* in 6 days.
Talked with two pairs of rec crabbers at the ramp. Both boats limited out with 2 baskets each in just over 3 hours of dipping.
Doesn't take a huge # to fill a basket when most males are larger than 6.5".
If you're not crabbing NOW, you're missing some of the best catching the bay has to offer.
Might try a close, local river next time just to see what's there or not. But then, why waste my time when farther away is almost a sure thing....while it lasts.

Listen!....... Did you hear that? Crabs are calling. Go get 'em!

#13 ·
I was out a couple of weeks ago taking advantage of the easy pickins' and am heading out this weekend again. I'm undecided on whether to go back to the crab alley area or heading south down towards the Shady Side area. Either way, hopefully I haven't missed them!

Hope that you're doing well!

#10 ·
That’s awesome!!

When we were eating last time I was commenting on how spoiled I’ve gotten looking at 6” crabs and thinking they’re small.

#15 ·
They were waiting for me again yesterday morning. Hungry as ever and willing to devour old bait, some of which was used twice before, but still looked appealing to their appetite. I did have one 600 foot segment with fresh bait attached to an additional 1200 foot segment of used baited line. On every run of that line there were always more keeper crabs counted on the fresh 600' segment than on the remaining 1200' portion. Just proves "FRESH is BEST" !

Water was smooth as glass. Wind was non existent. Tide was unusually high. Current was strong and continuous all morning except during the change of tides which did not last too long. Very few crabbers along the entire river. Plenty of parking places on the small lot. Uncrowded ramp. Eager and willing crabs. Plenty, and I do mean plenty, of undersized crabs for next year's season. Very few boats causing wakes. Nothing to complain about except maybe the long drive (98 miles each way). The boat had three crew members who were me, myself & I to haul 5 bushels of delicious crabs to their last supper.
Why some guys put their rigs in mothballs around Labor day is puzzling to this crabber /fisherman. The best of the best crabbing days are here NOW!

Enough of that...... Crabs, in the river system I was on, were comfortable in 10' to 14.5' depths. Rarely was there a crab in 15' and absolutely none in 16'. I did not have line any deeper. Reports I received from other crabbers reflected the same observations. Water temp was 64* F and relatively clear. Bait used was fowl necks. Crabbing's been some of the most enjoyment I've had, with my clothes on, this October. Can't wait to see how November pans out. The Wx is mild enough for this fun to continue for a couple weeks me thinks.

#16 ·
My crabbing has switched to deer and Blue Cat focus but no doubt this is the best time of the year.

I am praying for continued progressively colder weather to give them time to move deep slowly. Combine that with hopes for a mildish winter with no extreme freezes and next year could be off the charts.

Even though it took a while to get moving up north due to fresh water, southern waters were hot!!

Here’s to what ended up being a very good season and hopes to a better one next year👍.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.