Good Information Snakeheads spotted in Georgia pond, sounds similar to how they started in Maryland - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    Bigger threats to hatched out fry and fingerling Striped Bass are catfish white perch and stripers eating stripers. Snakeheads don't live or feed in the Bay. I've seen white perch constantly pick away at a snaked fry ball. They say the same thing with every fish that have teeth. Pickerel are native but nothing has ever been done to restock them while Bass are not and are continually stocked in non native tidal waters . Any fish that is good to eat has man as their worst predator.
    I have caught snakehead from the same dock as a flounder within an hour of each other. They may not be in the Bay proper, but they are in the Little Choptank. There was high salinity that day. Granted that is only one day, but they are there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Spread across the Eastern US is a wee bit of misrepresentation. Are they widespread yes, saturated no.

The point was that DNR had everybody believing they were going to overrun anything and everything, which is a far cry from the truth.

Va did a stomach content study of 1200 Snakeheads. The study statistics were broken down in two groups: 2004-2013 combined sampling and 2013 by itself.

Below are the occurrence frequencies of what was found in their stomachs

Group 1: 42% banded Killifish
    20% Bluegill
    7% Pumpinseed
    5% White Perch
    3% Gizzard Shad, American Eel, LM Bass

Below that are groups of fish that showed up 2% or less, frogs showed up in the 1% rate

Group 2
    38% Bluegill
    35% Banded Killifish
    2% Tesselated Darter, Gizzard Shad, LM Bass
    Last edited by done workin; 10-11-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerFisher View Post
    I have caught snakehead from the same dock as a flounder within an hour of each other. They may not be in the Bay proper, but they are in the Little Choptank. There was high salinity that day. Granted that is only one day, but they are there.
    My Son in Law was a Fed Fish & Wildlife guy until very recently, and was called to Smith Island about 2 years ago because someone caught a snakehead and called it in.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

From what I've read , and a lot of articles have been contradictory , Snakeheads can swim and migrate along the surface of the bay after it rains where the fresh water floats above the salt water called freshettes. I've also read that snakeheads can survive in 6-12 ppt salt water. Bass also eat ducks. That's why they've been selling duck lures for 50 years. I've seen crows eat an entire flock of new geese hatchlings as soon as they hit the water after being hatched. That's nature on it's own rules . I'm skeptical because we were told milfoil was an invasive sav. Then the Bass fishermen figured it out. No grass No Bass when it began to disappear in the bay rivers. Then, the invasive hydrilla would ruin fishing in the bay. Again , the Potomac is loaded with it along with Bass. Spadderdock is also an invasive and it holds a lot of fish . Then we had the invasive mitton crab. Remember that? I doubt that after 19 years in the Potomac and fishermen as of this week are catching 25 Bass a day and no snakeheads on those outings . I don't think so on the western side of the bay with so many fishermen and so little prime habitat for snakeheads. Time will tell.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

6. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12