Good Information A brief history about striped bass moretorium

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Default A brief history about striped bass moretorium

This was written by Eric Burnley. I see 2 small mistakes. The moratorium was lifted in oct.1 1990 in Md.. not 1989 and there was a 12 in. and then 14 in. minimum size for striped bass before the moratorium. Everything else looks about right to me. A moratorium is not entirely in the wishes of the state either. https://www.surfcastersjournal.com/a...y-eric-burnley
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. It’s the old saying-those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it. Those who know their history are doomed to sit by and watch others repeat it

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I’m ok with a 12-14” min. I think it’s best for the fish

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Thanks Capt. that was good and true.

Here’s another history lesson for those who like the 14” size.

The first paragraph below is a quote from one of fhe most prolific harvesters in the bay, Capt Buddy Harrison. Not too far from where we are now, support the 14” size and a 24” is good day.

WRONG!!

Only 5 years ago you would leave 24” looking for the 28”. 24” is not really a good fish, only by comparison.

The second paragraph is the seasons for 1995. NOTE THE late Spring size limit and the lack of a true summer season. AND THIS IS WHEN THE FISHING WAS GREAT.

“They are bigger in average size, too. When I was a young adult we made our living off 12- to 14-inch fish, and a 24-incher really would be an oddity."

In this year's spring season, which opens tomorrow and ends May 31, the minimum legal size of rockfish will be 32 inches. From June 1-July 4, the minimum size will be 26 inches and in the fall season, which begins Sept. 1, the minimum will be 18 inches.

Ok looking at “fishing effort”, smaller size limit to me, means less fish having to be thrown back even though you know they’re gonna die. That’s a shame, with no culling already a regulation, I believe in theory, we would end up having more fish

A 14” rockfish doesn’t have enough meat on it to make a harvest worth it and at that point you are allowing it by law it just to avoid a moratorium which is stupid.

The charters would have great compliance when their party runs into a school of 15” fish and a $600 charter comes home with 12 15” fish because they are the first ones caught. Or they catch and release until they find bigger fish to make the trip worth it and then you’ve defeated the whole purpose.

The 14” only works on paper not realistic application.

Well, what’s the difference in a 14” rock or a 11 in perch skip keeps, or a trout or any other fish of similar size? They don’t have enough meat either?

Fish are fish, and if you enjoy eating them, you’ll make a meal of anything you catch regardless of size

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

It I remember correctly,which I may not because I was a teenager before the moratorium, wasn’t it a 5 fish per person limit when the minimum size was 12&14”? At that size we just wouldn’t filet the fish and you still got a good bit of meat from a fish. Regardless of how good you are at filleting a fish you still leave a fair amount of meat on the carcass.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast