Good Information A brief history about striped bass moretorium - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Before the 1985 moratorium there was no limit on 12-14 in. striped bass.1990 started the 2 fish 18in. There was talk about allowing charter boats to let their patrons keep 5 fish per day but it was shot down. The charter captains didn't think they would be able to book charters with a 2 fish limit after being able to keep all you wanted before the moratorium. A fall season only was scheduled to last the full month of October. There were so many fishermen that participated in the fishery, including double trippers per day for both recs. and charters, the Maryland DNR closed the recreational fishery after 8 days because so many fish were being taken. The Charter fishing captains complained they had already taken deposits and were allowed to fish a few more days later than the recreational fishermen. I chartered the first year and I'll tell you every charter that wanted to book 2 trips a day could easily do it. I only booked 1 trip a day. After 5 years of not being able to fish for striped bass, every fisherman in the state wanted to fish again fort them, Every day the entire bay was packed with boats .
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

What’s the difference between keeping 11”
    Perch and keeping a 14” rockfish?

Seriously!? Is that really the question?

1. The population of white perch is not in jeopardy
    2. You can keep as many perch as you want and make a meal, a single 14” rockfish is hardly worthy of calling it a meal, maybe 2 is worth it but for what? At that point catch the perch that aren’t in jeopardy.
    3. I have a hard time picturing somebody driving an hour, going out and catching 1 or 2 14” fish and then driving home. Or maybe he will keep catching 14” fish until he finds a 19” fish and then we are back to square 1 with catch and release mortality which is the current “solution”.

Sure no difference between rock and perch. This is about doing what it takes to get this fishery back where it should and can be.

Unbelievable.

I remember the moratorium and what this fishery used to be and what it took to get there and it sucks to see what is happening now.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by done workin View Post

2. You can keep as many perch as you want and make a meal, a single 14” rockfish is hardly worthy of calling it a meal, maybe 2 is worth it but for what? At that point catch the perch that aren’t in jeopardy.
    3. I have a hard time picturing somebody driving an hour, going out and catching 1 or 2 14” fish and then driving home. Or maybe he will keep catching 14” fish until he finds a 19” fish and then we are back to square 1 with catch and release mortality which is the current “solution”.

Sure no difference between rock and perch. This is about doing what it takes to get this fishery back where it should and can be.

Unbelievable.

I remember the moratorium and what this fishery used to be and what it took to get there and it sucks to see what is happening now.
    Don't waste your time Chris......... Gary

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I think longtail and johnwendll are correct. Keeping a couple or a few injured stripers that are likely to die any way due to hook injury or handling is ethical and avoids wasting a resource. Concept of catch and release fishing started in trout fishery on Spring Creek “Fisherman’s Paradise” with fly fishing only regulations and a 1 or 2 fish limit. That was a quality cold water trout stream adjacent to a Pennsylvania Fish Commission trout hatchery. Part of an experiment in the mid 1950’s. It concluded there was minimal injury t fish there ere being caught and released multiple times in a season. Striper fished in bay with large hooks, treble hooked lures and such occasionally injures fish with badly torn jaws, eyes pierced or gills bleeding. Count that fish toward you limit, toss it in the cooler and move on. To me that ould be ethical IF regulations changed to lower the size limit. ACG

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My point, warm water fishing in bay with large hooks or heavy trolling gear injures fish to extent they are very likely to die. Most of us recognize when this happens. Make it legal to keep those fish within a limit and get off of the water.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

It's called fishing guys. So many other fish to fish for. Striper/rock fishermen and bass fishermen are kinda alike. They only want to catch rock fish or bass. Except bass fishermen release every bass they catch. Hope you all get it right. Something has to be done. Might have to shut it down soon.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post

Unbelievable.

Don't waste your time Chris......... Gary
    and out of no where, it’s Gary with nothing positive or constructive to add as usual. lol

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by longtail View Post
    Fish are fish, and if you enjoy eating them, you’ll make a meal of anything you catch regardless of size
    That's always been my philosophy as well. Keeps you happy that way, and every day is a good day.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Something has to be done not only for the Chesapeake but for entire coast. What we let live get are caught up and down the coast all year.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

So, I’m unsure what your saying. First there’s not enough meat on a 14” rock, but there is on an 11 in perch but now it’s the population, or lack of. Is it lack of meat or lack of population?

There’s plenty of meat on a 14 in rock, just maybe not filets, trimmed, no red meat, no fat. Just a whole lot of waste.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast