Tidal Fish Forum banner

A brief history about striped bass moretorium

Good Information 
6K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  andypat 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Here’s another history lesson for those who like the 14” size.

The first paragraph below is a quote from one of fhe most prolific harvesters in the bay, Capt Buddy Harrison. Not too far from where we are now, support the 14” size and a 24” is good day.

WRONG!!

Only 5 years ago you would leave 24” looking for the 28”. 24” is not really a good fish, only by comparison.

The second paragraph is the seasons for 1995. NOTE THE late Spring size limit and the lack of a true summer season. AND THIS IS WHEN THE FISHING WAS GREAT.

“They are bigger in average size, too. When I was a young adult we made our living off 12- to 14-inch fish, and a 24-incher really would be an oddity."

In this year's spring season, which opens tomorrow and ends May 31, the minimum legal size of rockfish will be 32 inches. From June 1-July 4, the minimum size will be 26 inches and in the fall season, which begins Sept. 1, the minimum will be 18 inches.

#7 ·
A 14” rockfish doesn’t have enough meat on it to make a harvest worth it and at that point you are allowing it by law it just to avoid a moratorium which is stupid.

The charters would have great compliance when their party runs into a school of 15” fish and a $600 charter comes home with 12 15” fish because they are the first ones caught. Or they catch and release until they find bigger fish to make the trip worth it and then you’ve defeated the whole purpose.

The 14” only works on paper not realistic application.

#10 ·
It I remember correctly,which I may not because I was a teenager before the moratorium, wasn’t it a 5 fish per person limit when the minimum size was 12&14”? At that size we just wouldn’t filet the fish and you still got a good bit of meat from a fish. Regardless of how good you are at filleting a fish you still leave a fair amount of meat on the carcass.

#11 ·
Before the 1985 moratorium there was no limit on 12-14 in. striped bass.1990 started the 2 fish 18in. There was talk about allowing charter boats to let their patrons keep 5 fish per day but it was shot down. The charter captains didn't think they would be able to book charters with a 2 fish limit after being able to keep all you wanted before the moratorium. A fall season only was scheduled to last the full month of October. There were so many fishermen that participated in the fishery, including double trippers per day for both recs. and charters, the Maryland DNR closed the recreational fishery after 8 days because so many fish were being taken. The Charter fishing captains complained they had already taken deposits and were allowed to fish a few more days later than the recreational fishermen. I chartered the first year and I'll tell you every charter that wanted to book 2 trips a day could easily do it. I only booked 1 trip a day. After 5 years of not being able to fish for striped bass, every fisherman in the state wanted to fish again fort them, Every day the entire bay was packed with boats .

#12 ·
What’s the difference between keeping 11”
Perch and keeping a 14” rockfish?

Seriously!? Is that really the question?

1. The population of white perch is not in jeopardy
2. You can keep as many perch as you want and make a meal, a single 14” rockfish is hardly worthy of calling it a meal, maybe 2 is worth it but for what? At that point catch the perch that aren’t in jeopardy.
3. I have a hard time picturing somebody driving an hour, going out and catching 1 or 2 14” fish and then driving home. Or maybe he will keep catching 14” fish until he finds a 19” fish and then we are back to square 1 with catch and release mortality which is the current “solution”.

Sure no difference between rock and perch. This is about doing what it takes to get this fishery back where it should and can be.

Unbelievable.

I remember the moratorium and what this fishery used to be and what it took to get there and it sucks to see what is happening now.

#13 ·
What's the difference between keeping 11"
Perch and keeping a 14" rockfish?

Seriously!? Is that really the question?

1. The population of white perch is not in jeopardy
2. You can keep as many perch as you want and make a meal, a single 14" rockfish is hardly worthy of calling it a meal, maybe 2 is worth it but for what? At that point catch the perch that aren't in jeopardy.
3. I have a hard time picturing somebody driving an hour, going out and catching 1 or 2 14" fish and then driving home. Or maybe he will keep catching 14" fish until he finds a 19" fish and then we are back to square 1 with catch and release mortality which is the current "solution".

Sure no difference between rock and perch. This is about doing what it takes to get this fishery back where it should and can be.

Unbelievable.

I remember the moratorium and what this fishery used to be and what it took to get there and it sucks to see what is happening now.
Don't waste your time Chris......... Gary

#14 ·
I think longtail and johnwendll are correct. Keeping a couple or a few injured stripers that are likely to die any way due to hook injury or handling is ethical and avoids wasting a resource. Concept of catch and release fishing started in trout fishery on Spring Creek “Fisherman’s Paradise” with fly fishing only regulations and a 1 or 2 fish limit. That was a quality cold water trout stream adjacent to a Pennsylvania Fish Commission trout hatchery. Part of an experiment in the mid 1950’s. It concluded there was minimal injury t fish there ere being caught and released multiple times in a season. Striper fished in bay with large hooks, treble hooked lures and such occasionally injures fish with badly torn jaws, eyes pierced or gills bleeding. Count that fish toward you limit, toss it in the cooler and move on. To me that ould be ethical IF regulations changed to lower the size limit. ACG

#16 ·
It's called fishing guys. So many other fish to fish for. Striper/rock fishermen and bass fishermen are kinda alike. They only want to catch rock fish or bass. Except bass fishermen release every bass they catch. Hope you all get it right. Something has to be done. Might have to shut it down soon.

#21 ·
If you want to keep fish, keep several perch that add up to the rockfish.

Perch are not in jeopardy, rockfish are.

Keep whatever fish you want, just not rockfish.

#23 ·
If you want to keep fish, keep several perch that add up to the rockfish.

Perch are not in jeopardy, rockfish are.

Keep whatever fish you want, just not rockfish.
Well, I don't know that's true. I don't know how rockfish there are out there as opposed to white perch, or are you referring to how many keeping rockfish? I know there's as many small rock as perch or more small rock than perch in a lot of places I fish. So you just want keeper rockfish, basing your numbers on?

#22 ·
I am a relative newbie to striper fishing in Chesapeake Bay. I have really enjoyed fishing for stripers the last three years. This year I have decided to do catch and release only and I did not fish in July and August do to the water temperature. If I need to not keep stripers for the next several years to restore the fishery to healthy populations, I will gladly do it. I will just order haddock, cod or some other fish at a restaurant. 😀

#24 ·
Chris, aka done working. In no way shape or form am I’m saying your wrong, despite the disgruntled fat mouth of Gary the creep. I want the same as you, more rockfish. Maybe your right and I’m wrong but I I love the dialogue and appreciate your thoughts. Please don’t take my responses the wrong way

#25 ·
People are entitled to any opinion they want to have and I try to base my opinions on facts to the best extent that I can understand the information that I read and I am willing to change my opinion.

To my knowledge in the almost 50 years that I have been fishing the bay, my father started me at birth, there has not been a limit for recreational fisherman for size of white perch or a daily limit as long as caught with rod and reel. So unlimited and yet they remain plentiful.

Fact: Rockfish were declared overfished
Fact: Number of spawning age females is below target threshold
Fact: Rockfish are highly regulated, even if we don’t agree with the regs.

So yes, I believe, in the context of restoring the rockfish population, if somebody wants 5 pounds of fillets, those fillets are better off coming from perch or potentially some other less regulated, less jeopardized species.

As I said, you are entitled to whatever opinion you want to form.

#26 ·
I just don’t know if I agree with this dooms day rockfish prediction. I have no problem catching nice fish, and my creek is loaded with smaller fish. In fact, I’ve had a harder time catching black back perch this year than rockfish. I, honestly, can’t keep them off my hooks even if trying to fish for perch.

#27 ·
Your creek is not a representation of the entire atlantic coast population whose decline has been documented from Virginia Beach to Cape Cod, including the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays.

Again, based on FACTS! Not personal “ I don’t know if I agree.....”

Please go tell the Chesapeake Beach, Rock Hall, Tilghman and Solomons Charter fleets on Opening Day of Trophy season 2020 you don’t agree there’s a problem when they’re out there struggling to catch fish.

Oh yeah...,,, their boats will most likely be tied up as they lose money.

I’m sure they’d appreciate your “personal” assessment of the OVERALL stock.

Believe what you want.

#28 ·
Look man, you can’t base the mass of rockfish based upon what charter fleets catch on any given day. It’s all about weather. These fish know more about what your doing than you. Biologists will make any report conducive to whatever the paying customers wants or needs. The winter crab dredge survey is a joke and waste of money, the winter USFWS waterfowl survey is a joke and meaningless. It’s all about the fish and they know their oats, not you or I or some person on a lab or back of a leased commercial vessel. All I know is, I have no problems catching striped bass. Almost a nuisance to me. This has been one of my best years fishing catching multiple species of fish as far north as 7ft knoll. I had a great year and crushed the rock. You have to go out and fish and find them if you want to catch them, not complain on a forum

#31 ·
Of course the decline in population is one big lie.

So you’re saying the collapsed Flats fishery, the non-existant CBBT AND Va Beach winter fishery are all just figments of our imaginations???? Hmmm, sure we’re all making that up. Just one big lie like the studies.

I am not complaining about anything. I am simply stating what is true. I have other fish I’ve learned to catch so catching quality fish isn’t an issue at all. I’ve just traded inches for pounds in some cases.

My reference to the charter fleet struggling was sarcasm and was regarding what is likely a closed Spring season next year, not assessing the stock by their ability to catch. 🙄 But please go down and sit with them on Opening day and tell them everything is good.

Skip used to catch 20+ big fish in a day during the spring, usually boating fish before his spread was out. Now, even he has trouble boating 1 34-35” and he has alluded to this in his reports. I have the utmost respect for him. But don’t worry, he’s lying too, he’s really catching tons of Spring trophies, every trip out.🙄

Greg is a phenomenal guide and one of the few I would ever consider taking a trip with. However, I am pretty sure he will admit the fishery isn’t the same as a few years ago and headed in the wrong direction.

Maybe you don’t remember what used to be a few years ago or what was in the early 2000’s or just can’t admit that this fishery isn’t the same.

While you may not find somebody who agrees with a solution, there is no way you can deny it is declining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.