Good Information The VA commercial speckled trout fishery is closed until Sept. 1, 2020
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default The VA commercial speckled trout fishery is closed until Sept. 1, 2020

This popped up on the VMRC web page a few days ago.

October 16, 2019:
    Effective 6:00 P.M., Wednesday, October 16, 2019, the 2019/2020 Virginia commercial speckled trout fishery will close. Based upon landing reports from Virginia seafood buyers and speckled trout harvesters, it is projected that Virginia will have harvested and landed 100% of the 51,104 pound quota. [Notice]

The season runs from Sept 1 to Aug. 31. this is the earliest that I have ever seen it close.

There is no bycatch allowance. They are allowed to keep the recreational limit for personal use only.

Correction they are supposed to shut down directed harvest at 80% and have a 100 pound a day bycatch allowance once they reach 51,104 pounds there is no more bycatch allowance. They must have had a really good 4 to 6 weeks in Sept./Oct.
    Last edited by Tom Powers; 10-19-2019 at 09:12 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

wow, both good news and bad news all at the same time. Scary as to why the quota has been met. Could it be more commercial fishermen going after them, better gear, found the "honey" hole or holes, less food for them to eat, global warming, more rec fishermen catching more breeders and targeting them.

What ever the reason, this should concern us all. As for me I will keep 16" and larger to eat or share but once I got enough frozen to eat over the winter I will catch and release, hope to get a release citation, and let the others go.

https://mrc.virginia.gov/vswft/index.shtm

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Phillips View Post
    wow, both good news and bad news all at the same time. Scary as to why the quota has been met. Could it be more commercial fishermen going after them, better gear, found the "honey" hole or holes, less food for them to eat, global warming, more rec fishermen catching more breeders and targeting them.

What ever the reason, this should concern us all. As for me I will keep 16" and larger to eat or share but once I got enough frozen to eat over the winter I will catch and release, hope to get a release citation, and let the others go.

https://mrc.virginia.gov/vswft/index.shtm
    Couldn’t agree more. The trout have seemed to fully recover from the past winter kills so now it’s a full fledged attack on them. Quite doubtful that next season will be nearly as good. I agree with the 16” approach (should be the law) and releases over 24” (slot rules like in place for drum and now stripers would be wise). If you’re that hungry for fish mix in a few spots:-). By the way, it’s only a matter of another year or so for Cobia in my opinion. Try to catch a 16” tog!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

What does that mean for gill netters? Went Saturday for the first time and found that someone set up a net in the shallows of a good spec trout area near York river.

Quote Originally Posted by Fintastic! View Post
    What does that mean for gill netters? Went Saturday for the first time and found that someone set up a net in the shallows of a good spec trout area near York river.
    Report them and see what happens.

I'm sure a lot of that limit came from fish that were coming out of the Lynnhaven headed towards the ocean just like every other year. One old fella with the last permit that has fished a gill net off the beach right at the end of West Little Neck on Shore Drive by the pound nets.

He's been doing it for years and is pretty good at it. I actually got to see them making the haul a couple of times, pretty impressive.

Good news is there's still plenty in and near the inlet and he can't take anymore this year.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Knot Crazy, That is a haul seine that he is using. \

VenceG. Unless you keep them keeping specs make sure that you tell VMRC dispatcher that you are pretty sure that they will be loading up with specs in that location and that you would just like it if an MPO can check. If you see them loading the boat with specs take down their boat number or the number of the net flag and call. The law is that they can keep the recreational limit for personal use . . . that is it. If you want to give the fellow the benefit of the doubt. He may not know that the commercial fishery is closed.

There were a few guys years ago that were illegally loading up on puppy drum in the hot ditch area. They got busted and lost their license to fish for several years.

BTW the commercial limit for puppy drum is 4 fish 18" to 25" as compared to the recreational limit of 3 fish 18" to 26".

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Terry, it's much simpler than what you think. It's been a very good year for recs and commercial so they met their quoto earlier because they were catching more fish per haul. They caught some beauties as well. Hopefully that is a good sign for all Spec fishermen.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

One to two years ago, small specs seemed to be everywhere. Now they are full grown and out in force. This year, I am seeing lots of undersized reds. Just think what one more year of growth will do for them this time next year.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements