Question Need a Good Merc Mechanic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Need a Good Merc Mechanic

Looking for recommendations for a good Merc mechanic not too far from Bel Air who you think could diagnose the following problem.

This past Sat my 2003 Merc 150 2-stroke was acting less than optimally. The motor has given me absolutely no problems (except from bad gas) in almost 1,200 hours. On Sat started out kinda sluggish or laboring - SOG vs RPM's was definitely lower than normal. Also, a little more vibration than normal. After about 15 minutes thing seemed to settle down.

Then on the way in the vibration got worse again and the motor was laboring again. Did a little playing around and found the problem (especially vibration) was worse between 3000 and 4000 RPM's but once it hit 4100 or so RPM's the vibration smoothed right out and speed vs RPM seemed normal.

Bob
    Grady 20

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Sounds like a prop issue.

The only other thing is fuel starvation. Check the air vent on your tank.

Capt Mike

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I would start with hooking up a remote 6 gal tank with fresh 93 octane fuel and see if you still have the problem. An engine starving from fuel could be caused from a leaky/cracked fuel hose sucking air or a bad/sticky anti siphon valve at the fuel tank.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Thx guys. If it were either of those problems, and I'm not doubting either, why would it settle down above 4100 RPM's?

Also, forgot to mention that there seemed to be more of a "gassy" smell from the exhaust. Not sue it was really there because for the 1st time in a few years we had the windshield and side curtains up (not aft cover) and that greatly changes the air flow.

Bob
    Grady 20

Bob
    Grady 20

Default Similar Problem - Fixed

I had a similar issue on my 20 HP motor on my small Carolina Skiff. I suspected a leak in the fuel line. I replaced the small fuel tank, fuel line, and spark plugs and the problem was solved. I suggest trying this first and if the problem still exists, at least you know you have new plugs and fuel line that should be good for years.
    Tom

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If your engine is missing causing vibration and poor performance and notice the smell of gasoline, it sounds like one of the cylinders is not firing properly. Could be wires or coil......... Gary

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Tomes Landing Marina in Port Deposit.
    410-378-3343 ask for Mike
    He knows Mercs inside and out.
    Mike worked on my 90 hp 2 stroke and had it running perfectly in less than 20 minutes. He's very thorough and knowledgeable.
    He's the closest good mechanic that I know of close to Bel Air.

I'd try a separate fuel source as recommended above, but I also wouldn't rule out an intermittent coil. With the right tools it's easy to troubleshoot. Mike has all the tools.
    Good luck!
    Please report back.

Thx all. I kinda wondered about some type of misfire / not firing from the gas smell but as I said, with the curtains up we tend to get some exhaust backdraft. Also, I didn't know a coil problem could be intermittent.

So I'll play around with the fuel system. Again. If nothing pops up I'll call Mike and see what he says.

Bob
    Grady 20

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Found the culprit yet?

Actually I had a little surgical procedure done and haven't felt like messing with the darn thing. We usually make one or two trips down south in late Nov / Dec but we may just call it a season now. Maybe have it looked at over the winter. Thx for asking.

Bob
    Grady 20

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast